Overworked fan fixed by BIOS flash. Returns on restart.

By MajorDick
Sep 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I originally thought this was a rootkit virus problem and started a thread over on virus and malware removal here vb/topic170990.html (sorry i couldn't link it my current post count is 4) but everything showed up clean.
    Problems with my pc were first evident when I started getting random restarts and system hangs but since the fan problem has developed I don't seem be getting these symptoms anymore. The issue with the fan just happened on bootup one morning, the computer sounds like its going to take off and cpu-hw is telling me my fan speed is 4400 rpm. after Checking fan wiring and cleaning dust out of my case with no result I decided to reset my bios. This solved the problem of fan speed and I continued to use the computer normall for a couple of hours with no issues. I then turned it off and when I booted it again the next day the fan issue had returned and has remained since.

Acer eg43m mother board with ami bios p01-a2
    intel core 2 quad q8300 2.5Ghz
    ati radeon hd 5750
    windows 7x64 home premium
    2 x gb ddr3 ram
    500w casecom psu

other information: I have reinstalled windows since the problem started (not to try and fix the problem but because I wasnt able to activate my previous install).
  2. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,214   +200

Have you checked out the temperatures being recorded by cpu-hw? The fast fan speed may be a sign that things are overheating.
  3. MajorDick

MajorDick TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah both cpuhw and the bios menu were reporting something around 56celcius i think. Which is pretty normal, also if it was genuine overheating then a biosflash wouldn't have done anything.
  4. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,214   +200

5. MajorDick

Thanks alot for the link. Interesting to see its the exact same processor
  6. MajorDick

Just wondering if this could be moved into the processors and motherboards board?