TechSpot

Oxford Dictionaries Online says Phablet, Twerk and Derp are real words now

By Justin Kahn
Aug 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Derp and twerk are real words now. No srsly they really are, Oxford Online says so. In the continuing spirit of adding ridiculous, made-up internet words to the dictionary, Oxford Dictionaries Online is officially adding a new batch of real...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

Phablet and selfie are fine. I've never heard of "twerk" before.

3. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 861   +340

We should be making fun of words and people that are dumbing down our languages, but no, let's add them to a dictionary. A couple from years from now, I can imagine people, especially young ones, blabbering yolo, swag, kerp, derp, twerk,...it's not even funny anymore.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

I've never understood Derp, is it Duh + Burp? Sadly I just learned what Twerk is, apparently Miley Cyrus was doing it. I feel old.

5. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,665   +312

Ohm jst blwn awy bie ths. Sumdae hit wunt b englsh.

Auth3ntic0 and psycros like this.
  6. Had to check my calender just too make sure it wasn't the 1st of April.

7. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

And the Idiocracy marches on.

Auth3ntic0 and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,060

If you mean idiocy instead of idiocracy then I couldn't agree more. :)

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Although English is my mother tongue, I haven't understood it for years now especially when listening to youngsters communicate. To me it sound like verbal encryption.

cliffordcooley and Auth3ntic0 like this.
  10. +1

11. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax TS Member Posts: 23

Language evolves. Old English would probably be incomprehensible to us. I imagine that someday the language that we speak will be referred to as Middle English.

Plus, the point of the dictionary is to be able to look up the meaning of something that somebody says or reads. If a non-native speaker heard the sentence "Hey, look at this derp twerking on my phablet!" it's nice to have a resource for them to understand what the person said before smacking them upside the head.

Chazz likes this.
  12. Watch the movie Idiocracy... then it makes sense.

13. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,564   +2,373

Lacking syllables or refinement doesn't disqualify an expression from being a legitimate word. In fact, the English language has developed like this (become more simplistic) for centuries.

What we should all be worried about is the inevitable day when grammar becomes a lost art. Given what's seen on the Internet and in schools these days, I worry that day is just around the corner.

14. Skidmarksdeluxe

Thanks but I'll give it a miss. I'm not one for movies.

15. Skidmarksdeluxe

True. The only things we're assured of in life is change, paying tax & dying. Old English I can mostly understand, but ancient English, now that's something else.

16. Human stupidity has no limit... I cant believe those considerations

17. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 317   +41

DERP LEL XDDDD

I ****ing despise kids of this generation.

18. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

....That is so demeaning. They are making English a joke!!!

19. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

Idiocracy is an incredibly stupid movie... then you think about it for a few minutes after the credits roll and you get really scared. It's so possible that it's scary.

This is why I make all my friends watch the movie.