P3 In a P4 Motherboard?

By cfitzarl
Sep 14, 2006
  1. My celeron processor blew last night because of a fan failure, and now I am stuck without a cpu. Is it possible to pull a P3 Chip out of one of my computers in my basement, and fit it in (same socket)?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Nope, it can`t be done I`m afraid, different cpu sockets.

Even if they were the same socket, the mobo wouldn`t accept it.

Regards Howard :)
  3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,975   +9

Too bad...I guess I'll have to pay that thirty dollars for the Cheapest Celeron...
  4. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 475

Make sure to get a good fan this time. like Zalman,Cooler Master or Thermaltake so it hope fully won't fail. At least you didn't fry an expensive processer. I'm suprised your CPU didn't shut itself down most will if they overheat.

if you can aford it I would recomend this P4 It'll improve your preformance significantly and it's a Northwood core so it will run cooler

You might want to look into quality CPU coolers like these to prevent another fan falure incedent
  5. AnySupreme

AnySupreme TS Rookie Posts: 24

my first recommendation would be to not overclock it... also... you can get a similar celeron for about 75 dollars out of the box... also, investing in a nice fan for the cpu is good... also, properly ventilating your case is important too... especially if you're oc'ing... but, i'm sure if you know how to overclock... you should know how important staying cool is...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.