P4 Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS | Crazyace

Im going to purchace a P4 motherboard tommarow, just wondering if anyone has had good luck with the VIA chipset/DDR. I have been doing exstensive research and found them to be slightly faster than the INTEL i845d, but as we know, the Intel chipset is probobly the most stable.. OH ya, and how about that SIS deal?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmm

You can't go wrong with Intel but just remember that the I845-D doesn't support 333 mhz or PC2700 DDRam but the SiS645 does.

I haven't really checked out the new VIA chipset for the P4. I think it's the P4X266a. I'll try to find some links on it.

Originally posted by 3DS Crazyace
u mean doesnt officially support pc2700

there is a difference

Well the good thing about the SiS645 is that you can run the memory @ 333 (166) on it without having your P4 FSB running at that speed. I'm not sure if the I845-D supports asynchronous speeds for FSB/MEM...

they offer options for that...

I am just a bit skeptical of SIS.. I mean, INTEL is very solid, but you cannot ignore the speed of the SiS chip or the VIA.. The VIA is kinda held up in court though.. It's a tough.. I am also contiplating between brands ... MSI, ABIT, or ASUS right now...
ARGGG>>.

Paul, run from MSI. I have a MSI K7 Master and it is nothing but headaches. I would only look at Abit or Asus. Their by far the best of the bunch.

If I were buying a new mobo and CPU I would have to go with an Intel Northwood and an Intel mobo.

I have always had great luck with Intel mobo's. They are supported well and very reliable.

I have the stuff..
This is what I got:

ASUS P4B266
Intel 1.6 Northwood (sl668)

My new will be here tommarow, and my DDR wends.. I will let you guys know how it goes, mabey I'll throw up a quick overclock review.. Right after I am done sanding down this INTEL slug (hehe)..

The "REAL" uncleel

just so happens Ace, this was a good discussion recently on the old forums.

Everything Hardware
Motherboard & Mem for P4
http://207.115.70.83/forum/read_msg.phptid=2953&forumid=ubb1

Intel's New "D845BG", P4 w/ DDR support
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845bg/
http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D1670%2526a%253D14291,00.asp
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/newspro/viewnews.cgi?search

or
SOYO "P4I Fire Dragon", i845D based
other Soyo's in the Dragon line as well.
www.soyousa.com

I need to get some RAM today, I am going to try and grab some PC2700 or PC3000.

I am pretty excited to see how well the chip overclocks...

The force is strong with this one...

Im going to purchace a P4 motherboard tommarow, just wondering if anyone has had good luck with the VIA chipset/DDR. I have been doing exstensive research and found them to be slightly faster than the INTEL i845d, but as we know, the Intel chipset is probobly the most stable.. OH ya, and how about that SIS deal?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

We bought them in at work for workstations for researchers to use. A whole bunch of 1.7 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB DDR-SDRAM.

Experiments that used to take 4.5 hours on a PII-450 128 MB BX Chipset machine now take 20 mins...

No probs so far.

thats sweet///

i just ordered some OCZ PC3000 ram, so I should have nothing holding me back

I am hopeing for 2.6ghz

damn, i am very nervous.. . I have all this stuff here, and no RAM till WED... ahh..

I must face him. Alone.

thats sweet///

i just ordered some OCZ PC3000 ram, so I should have nothing holding me back

I am hopeing for 2.6ghz

damn, i am very nervous.. . I have all this stuff here, and no RAM till WED... ahh..

Last upgrade I (to 1.33 GHz Athlon, 512 MB DDR-SDRAM PC2100) was a lot of eager anticipation. Don't worry it will be worth it.

I really dont have that much invested...

case+enermax300w=70
p4b266=150
p41.6a=150
ocz pc3000=100
microsoft keybrd/mous=30

you figure about $500.. I already have a hard drive and ethernet card (3com pci) and geforce gts (need g4 soon)

I guess u cant really complain, even if I only hit 2.0ghz... But its the whole point..

Re: I must face him. Alone.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Last upgrade I (to 1.33 GHz Athlon, 512 MB DDR-SDRAM PC2100) was a lot of eager anticipation. Don't worry it will be worth it.
same here. i everything together (mobo, cpu, vid card) and had to leave it there on the floor for 2 days till i could get the case.
then i screw everything in and turned it on...
but then i can't see anything! no RAM check! pressed del but can't get into BIOS! oh no! bad RAM? no, there's no beep whatsoever! what could be wrong!?
AAAAARGH!!!
WHY WON'T IT WORK!?!?!?
but wait....
where's the monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back