P4 northwood 2.8ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a Penitum 4 Northwood 2.8ghz with 800mhz fsb work on a
MSI 845GVM-V mobo? Iam currently using pc3200 ram.

thanks

It doesn't appear to be a supported CPU for that motherboard. It's designed for only 400 or 533mhz FSB CPU's.

It also only supports up to ddr-333, so your ddr-400's are not running at their full speed.

It's anyone's guess if you can get that CPU to run crippled in that motherboard as it wont run with the proper 800mhz FSB, best case scenario. More than likely, the BIOS may not recognize it at all.

hm yea it wouldnt post.. so i guess it wont work but i got a good price on the cpu. What mother board would you recommend that would support it? Right now i have a celeron so i think it would be easier and better in the end.

Ooof.. I'd avoid the SiS second but the first i865PE chipset would be an excellent choice.

Finding good, cheap Socket 478 mainboards with good Intel chipsets is getting more and more difficult by the day. If you dont mind shopping around, I've found the best bang-for-the-buck is the discontinued Asus P4P800 series (P4P800SE & P4P800E-Deluxe). As they are no longer pressing them, you'd have to hunt one down in old-stock (such as pricewatch.com or local OEM's).

ASRock also makes a good model, but it's only got 2 memory slots and is a MicroATX form, which limits it to really 2-useable PCI slots. If you don't have a lot of PCI cards, it can be had for $43.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157090

The MSI w/ i865 chipset posted above is also a great unit. I'd recommend that as your primary choice and the ASrock here if you need to save a few bucks.

Also keep in mind, all these newer motherboards will not only work your with your new CPU, but will also allow you to get the full PC3200 speed from your RAM *AND* enable Dual-Channel memory mode.. both huge perks.

Good luck!

The MSI mobo I linked is the best one. It's cheap, powerful, and you can enable dual channel, something very useful with Intel machines :)

I bought the MSI 865PE Neo2-V.. However i dont get any post at all.. any suggestions?

P4 Northwood 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB
256 pc3200 DDR400 memory

Make sure you have the 12V 4-pin power connected as well as the 20 or 24 pin main ATX connector. It's the single most common reason for not posting on a new system- overlooking the "hiding" 4-pin power outlet they put cryptically near the top where you dont see it. hehe. (on your new motherboard, it's just above the alluminum heat sink to the side of the CPU slot)

Also, make sure you have all the case lines plugged into the header properly. Also re-orient the memory.. make sure you've looked for which slots to put the memory into as well as remove all cables (ide) and secondary pci cards (just leave the videocard in) while trying memory in singles/different combinations to rule out bad memory.

Also, double check your speaker cable. If there is some other problem, it should be beeping when not posting.

Good luck!

Yea i did connect the 4pin. Also i have tried the memory in all slots, and i have tried with just a video card.. as a matter of fact, 2 different video cards. And by the case lines do you mean the power switch, reset switch, etc?? Those are all right. I tried a celeron just to make sure and it gave a high low siren type deal if i remember right. I know they arnt compatable but i just wanted to see if it would give me a beep.

thanks for the reply. My guess is it might be a bad cpu?

It simply means it's incompatible with the older (1.8ghz and lower) Pentium cores that run at 400mhz FSB. You don't have to worry about this as you don't have one of those older Willie core P4's (usually in the 1.2 to 1.8ghz speed range).

It could be a bad CPU.. starting to sound like it. Have you inspected the bottom pinouts to be sure it's not missing any pins?

yea they seem to be all there and straight. As far as putting the celeron in.. i tried it again and when i leave the video card out i get some error beeps. I must have a bad card as well as bad cpu. Do you have a list of what they mean? hard to explain but in words its kinda like beepbeep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep. 2 fast and 8 short beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back