P4 pin Repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.
owdy there, this in my mind is long so just skip to the 2nd paragraph
Last week i was replacing a crummy processor fan which is my least favorite thing to do cause of previous p4 damage when the heatsink and processor sometimes stuck together . So to aviod that painfully stupid feeling of the hair dryer to a heatsink as well as the risk of bending pins like last time i worked my computer to the max for at least 16 hours so the cpu wouldn't stick to the heatsink and stay in the board. Of course this dint happen so when the fan/heatsink was removed the cpu stuck to it but it didnt cause any pins to bend but i wasnt clear yet..... i bumped the cpu on the corner of my Raedon!!

This time 1 single pin broke off the p4 processor none bent. the p4 came in a barebones system my now ex partner got so there was no warranty and i was unsure the only answer i could find besides just chuck it so i thought of my own hacker rigged way. I recovered the pin that fell off and with the help of tweezers and a q-tip i placed the pin into the slot on the motherboard where it would have been in if it was attached to the p4 placed the p4 on locked it down powered it up and now it perfectlly fine. Does anyone else see that as to easy or know a little more about this cause it has now been on straight for 24 hours no problems please email mail me or reply to this post at

(*edited by mod)

First of all, Welcome to the 3DS forums. Second, watch your language, I wouldn't be making any off color comments about any gender here. This is not the place for it.

Second, I don't understand how you managed to break a pin off unless you didn't unlock the CPU from the socket. The HSF should not be stuck on the Fan that tight. When I take mine off, it usually just falls off.

If you haven't had any problems yet, count yourself lucky, I would be very weary of the CPU, any vibration may cause the pin to come unseated and you may damage more than just the CPU. Good luck.

super glue is conductive so it may be possible...
Do Not apply directly to cpu, but rather using your tweezers dip the end of the pin onto a drop applied to a opaque surface. Set on broken pin & try to hold as straight as possible till it sets.

Originally posted by uncleel
super glue is conductive so it may be possible...
Are you sure about that?
I though people were able to use SuperGlue to fill the bridges/gaps when unlocking their Athlons. (I could be wrong)

Originally posted by T-Shirt
people were able to use SuperGlue to fill the bridges/gaps when unlocking their Athlons.
just like using lead from a pencil; it's conductive.

I'd be careful about saying superglue is conductive.. Some brands, types and even quantities may very well be, while others might not.

Even if superglue is conductive enough to short out the bridges on an Athlon XP, it may not contain the conductive properties necessary to keep the pin contacted to the socket sufficiently. The voltage requirements for the bridges are very low, where the processor's pins require a higher amperage/wattage.

Either way, you should be able to apply a VERY sparing amount onto one side of the pin and insert it in the processor. This should be enough to hold it in. Be careful that you get a good connection though, because if it dries before you get a solid connection, then you are going to have some fun getting the pin in place again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back