P4 system upgrade; is this any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
upgrade is this any good?

well i guess i will have to upgrade. how does this system sound to you bare bones?

Case Antec SX1000 w/ Enermax 350W PSU
Motherboard Asus P4S533 DDR mainboard
CPU P4 2.0GHz Retail Box
HSF Retail
RAM 1X512MB Mushkin PC2100 2-2-2

I was offered this for around $800.. is this any good? what is rambus by the way since it doesnt come with it? also dont p4 MB's have onboard NICS?
I will install my own gef 4 ti 4200 and audigy card? is this memory any good? what about the MB?

Can't you just buy a new system board, CPU, memory and all that and use the case and other components you have now?
Some Pentium 4 boards have onboard NICs, but mostly they don't.
I don't know about the brand Mushkin, I've never heard of it before. Instead try Kingston or Crucial, if possible. 512MB should be great for you whatever you're doing.
Go ahead and install your GF4 & Audigy.

800$ is a good price for an Intel system :dead:

I got my AMD system of about equivalent performance for around 500$ :stickout:

Well in a sense the question is a little meaningless because you don't say specifically what the machine is for.

But we will take it its for gaming and general cool stuff that people do (peer to peer file sharing, mp3s, divx video, etc....)

...then you have a nice little system there.

In constrast to Vehementi I think that the case is an excellent upgrade.

A nice big case is a great investment for the future. Motherboards come and go but a nice big case will last a long time and will contain many things.

I see you have picked one:
Image009.jpg

source: http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/antec1000.html

Ultimately, that big box can be used for multiple hard drives, extra CD ROM drive as well as DVD and CDRW....

....And with more space you can start up more buses.... SCSI controller, even RAID controller, etc.... Because you have space in that case for plenty of different drives.

If the point in your upgrade is to really refit the "GUTS" of your machine (I am imagining that you are saving old sound card, etc...) then I think your choices are fair enough and the amount of money is pretty reasonable.

If this is your plan I can't (in the absense of any more information) really say anything in particular wrong about it.

If this is what you have decided that you want them go ahead.

Ah yes, I did forget to mention your absolutely excellent choice in casing. As you can see here, the Antec SX100 is Alienware's favorite case, they use a moderately tweaked version of it in all 4 of their primary desktop models. Very nice :grinthumb

p.s. -> Phantazmm...I do think it's an excellent upgrade, there certainly isn't anything wrong with it!

Re: upgrade is this any good?

Originally posted by nyorker
what is rambus by the way since it doesnt come with it?
http://www.rambus.com/company/about_rambus.html

That motherboard uses DDR333 aka PC2700 memory modules, not RAMBUS.

also dont p4 MB's have onboard NICS?
Not all of them. It's not just P4 mobo, NICs can be integrated into other motherboards as well.

is this memory any good? what about the MB?
Yes, both are good (in my opinion). I'm about to get the same motherboard in a few days, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back