TechSpot

Packard bell system freezes??

By fimbles
Apr 18, 2006
  1. Hello!

I have a two year old packard bell IMEDIA 3052
    Full specs can be found on the website.. google packard bell..( wouldent let me post a link sorry??)

I have upgraded to 2x 256 mb ddr ram
    and a radeon 9600 pro graphics card. also 1 extra fan as the graphics card one is getting a bit noisy..( fixed with a bit of grease) but just in case..:)

Ive never had any probs with this computer but recently the mouse freezes for a split second on screen and my pc lets out a single system beep. once or twice i have lost the mouse all together after this beep.. but after a restart everything seems ok.

I have opened my case and gave my pc a damn good vacum because someone mentioned overheating to me..

I have ran numerous spyware/antivirus/nortonsystem works and even a full system reboot.. but still the problem remains..

The system beep is short.. the mouse freezes for about a second ( but the film i am watching.. ect, does not.)

My system specs (in short ) are

2.8 ghz celeron
    1gig ram
    radeon 9600 pro 256 mb gpu
    80 gig hardrive..

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have on this annoying problem! :)

2. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Posts: 294

What kind of mouse is it? Have you tried getting new drivers or updating them?

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

sounds like symptoms of a failing PSU.

4. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,273   +152

hi.

thanks for the replys..

The mouse is a cheap optical mouse from trust. its p2p so it dosent use any drivers as far as i know..i never installed any and i never had any probs with it for the last 12 months or so.

I get the feeling its a failing power supply myself.. is there any way i can test this out?? would it be better to change it now or wait till the old one dies first? or will that kill my processor???

:O

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.