Packet Loss and High Ping on only 1 device

Hey guys. I have been having some long term issues with my Laptop. Sometimes it will be fine and sometimes it will not. On the times it is not fine it is giving me high packet loss huge ping increases which causes my connection to drop. My connection usually comes back after a few minutes and then drops again. I am not amazing with tech so I honestly have no clue what to do. Any advise would be good, Thanks.

How are you connected, wired vs wifi? Are you at home vs hotspot? is the primary problem with gaming or just anything?

I am connected using wifi and I am at home. This problem seems to happen at random times however when it was happening earlier I closed my game (Borderlands 2) and it seems to be fine now.
As I said it just happens randomly so it will probably happen again soon. I have no clue what it does.

A good likelihood is dust build up inside laptop causing a heat issue. If it is 15-20 months old and never cleaned, you might check out the 'how-to' videos on YouTube. The ribbon connectors are tricky - so be sure you know how they work before you try to open them (some slide, some snap, a few lift - DO NOT lift a slider, etc). The screws can get mixed up really easily - so I use cardboard - where I make notes and punch little holes and hold the screws until I need them (really bad to put a long screw in a short screw place, so be careful). Tools have to be the right size, so make sure you have the right ones before you start. I use a variety of plastic ones that I customized from credit cards and plastic spoons - important to keep from scratching things up on the case. A folded towel can help with that too.

I wonder if your wifi card or your router are going on the fritz. If other computers have no wifi problem, then cheapest to test is wifi at laptop - try any of the dongle wifi cards ($3-5) or go for a replacement card ($10-15), route your network through that instead of the current wifi card inside your laptop just to see if the problem gets better.

Also, there may be a Computer Arts class or a Computer and Robotics club at your school where you might find some helpful folks. My first 'super-geek' friend helped me through my first expansion (one whole megabyte of RAM on an expansion card) and then my first couple of builds (feels like 50 years ago...uh, almost is).

This Laptop is fairly new actually but it does overheat. I will give that a try. I have built a PC xD I am just using a Laptop for on the move gaming. Thanks for the tips!

Back