Page Fault in Non Paged Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyJ

A few weeks ago I started getting this BSOD but only when I wasnt at my computer. Sometimes it also gave me a message about ntfs.sys. My work around for this problem was to run a macro when I wasnt at the computer and this kept it from rebooting.
Then a few days ago it started rebooting with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or page fault in non paged area when I was using it. Obviously this was a lot more inconvienent.
I read every forum I could find and found no solution to the problem until a couple of days ago I was reading this forum and someone suggested checking the page file, I did and sure enough my page file was too small. I increased my page file so that the min and max were both 4000 and things were running smoothly again....
for about 3 days then this morning I was working in photoshop and I blue screened with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and I'm back to where I started again, if I leave my computer idle it reboots and I cant find any way to stop it, I dont know why changing my page file size would have fixed it then a few days later stopped working.

Well Photoshop is a pretty intensive RAM program. I think you will need to put some more in your system, but since you haven't filled out your profile I'm not sure how much you have currently. You can fill this information out by going to my.TS.forum at the top left of the page.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

When was the last time you did a CHKDSK and a Defrag on that HD. How much space is left (you need at least 15% free)?
What OS and service-level are you running?
What other programs are always running in the background (antivirus, firewall, whatever)?

Windows XP service pack 2 I have MSN, spyware and antiviris scans running in the background but I experience the same problem if they are turned off
I have 37Gb (32%) free disk space
I ran chkdsk about a week ago and defragged the drive a couple of months ago, total fragmentation 9% file fragmentation 18%

NancyJ said:
if I leave my computer idle it reboots and I cant find any way to stop it
If you mean a way to stop rebooting when errors occur, it's in Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery.

The next time that Blue Screen of Death occurs, check if it says which file caused it.

Check also Event Viewer for hardware / software errors.

It reboots after its finished the memory dump, and just hanging at the blue screen doesnt help ;)
It rarely gives a filename as a cause of the error, when it does its ntfs.sys

I did the maths on the save dumps, it reboots every 13 minutes if left idle and nothing I have tried will stop it.

I dont have powerpoint and when I try to install the powerpoint viewer I get this error:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|AUTOEXEC.NT this file is not suitable for running MS DOS and windows Applications

I fixed my autoexec.nt file *again* but the self extracting exe with the pp in it doesnt extract anything no matter where I try to extract it to. Cant yoiu just tell me what it says?

You should bookmark this page with all the STOP-errors:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Check your BSOD STOP-number against that list. They will give you a good indication.
Also publish that STOP# here, perhaps someone has the solution for you.

PS: forget about that PPT, your problem must be elsewhere.

The STOP error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

that URL you listed is where I went first, I've run diagnostic checks on everything that I can and it all seems to be working normally as far as I can tell.
I've tried running my PC without Virus Detection and the problem still occurs and I dont know how to remove 3rd party drivers but I've not installed any new ones recently

Time to surf to www.memtest.org and D/L Memtest86+.
This needs to be installed on a clean floppy. Then set your PC to boot from Floppy first, and boot from that Memtest-floppy. Then let it run, preferably overnight, or at least 2-3 cycles. See what errors it produces.

Just read an interesting article:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=31105&seqNum=12
You may have a faulty powersupply!
See if you can borrow another PSU from someone.

I have the same 0x50 Page fault problem, very often when the PC is idle. I think it is the AVG antivirus prgram but cannot find anything. 1GB of RAM; plenty of hard drive space etc.

This thread is QUITE old, but I have been having the same problem at the gent who started it... exactly the same.

I joined to try and make contact with him directly but it says that he isn't accepting E-mails. Anyone here know if the new PSU fixed his issue?? :suspiciou

I'm a her btw ;)

I dunno if this is related to the problem or not but because of all the crashing my boyfriend decided to remove the second network card from my machine and plug the cable box into his instead so i'm no longer hosting the net connection and I dont crash anymore. I dont know if it was a problem with the network card or maybe taking that out lessened the strain on my PSU enough.

All I can suggest is that if you cant get a PSU to test with then try removing anything non essential from your computer and see if that helps.

Pardon the mistake :eek:

Wasn't sure if you were still an active part of the board :D
I have noticed that when I took out my sound card, the problem didn't happen for a while. My crashing happens mainly during high stress times, which in my case would be only during gaming.

I've contacted a buddy of mine and he's got a bunch of PSUs around so we're going to give it a try. Having spent $330 on new hardware to have the same issue is frustrating to say the least...

Hey all. I just joined this forum so that I could talk about this problem that I also have been having. I asked people on another forum what they thought and they said it is probably not enough power because I was using 350 watts of equipment with a 350 watt power supply. I have unplugged everything in my computer but one HD and one DVDRW but it still gives me a BSOD. So, I did what they asked and I bought a 600w PSU. It gets here this afternoon so I will install it and give you an update as to what happens.

Page fault in non-paged area - me too!!!

Hi,

I have a similar problem with 3 PC's at work, all different hardware configurations an restarting at random intervals - sometimes they are not even under stress (e.g. just using MS Word) :confused: , but I neglected to note the memory address that is referenced in the BSOD - I will check it out on each and investigate further.

Nice research on the PSU by the way! Good find :grinthumb

Oh, and thanks for running such a helpfull forum guys....

Ok. So I got my 600w PSU and so far there have been no crashes whatsoever and no BSOD or anything. I reformatted just to start over and now my desktop is crazy good. I got this setup:

Dell 21" Trinitron Flat Screen
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb w/ VGA Silencer
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz w/ Artic Silver
1GB PC 3200 Crucial
Samsung 16x Dual Layer burner
Lite-On 8x DVD+-RW
Western Digital 60GB 7200RPM
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200RPM
600 WATT PSU!
Windows XP Pro
Logitech MX510, ATI Remote Wonder II

Same issue

hey guys,

I have the same issue, same BSOD message appears on occaision. The STOP error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

the pc has been slowing up over the last few days crashing all the time, and no applications would start, even messnger etc. i ran every troubleshooting and hardware test i could find and it detected no problem. i thought i would format my HDD, i booted from the xp cd and it said that my hdd is missing or has an erorr. i bought a new hdd, same problem. it let me create a partition once, but wouldn't let me install XP. i can't run fdisk cos apprently i have no HDD to format! i tried booting from a startup disk, same issue. i even reset the bios, same issue. the new hdd is detected fine in the bios set up.

any ideas? how can i tell if its CPU, Memory or Motherboard?

Bill

hey guys,

I have the same issue, same BSOD message appears on occaision. The STOP error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

My pc is simply wonderful!!!! i just can't believe this is happening to me, everything was ok till this started happening !!!

My pc started crashing suddenly showing that lovely bluescreen with the above stupid message and it doesn't really matter if i was using it or on standby, it would still crash even when am not connected to the net.

Not to mention that I have checked my pc for viruses + trojans + Ad\spyware and turned out to be clean!!!

My setup:

hardware:
Pentium 3.0GHz 800MHz, HT supported CPU
WD 120HD 7200 RPM
1GB 400MHz RAM, devided into two 512MB Chips
Audigy 2 Platinum with the front panel sound card
ATI AIW Radeon 9800 128MB original screen card
A sony common 3.5 floppy drive
LG Combo CD-Rom drive 32x 10x 40x + DVD Reader
LG DVD Writer
Gigabyte Mainbaord GA-8IPE1000(-L), i865PE intel chipset

Software:
Windows xp pro sp2 up to date, january 15 2005
norton antivirus 2005
ADSL speedtouch software for the 330 speedtouch ADSL usb modem
Latest drivers for all the following :
mainboard chipset + soundcard + graphics card
Nero 6605
Virtual CD 6006

Nothing related to the following programs starts up when the system boots up but they dont run till i start them up myself, so nothing for them in the start up registry keys:
The Cleaner 4.01
Ad-Aware 1.05
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back