Page file On own partition and raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppetgrimm1

Hello all,

I was wondering if it was a good Idea to create a seperate Partion for the pagefile.Would this improve performance? also I have installed raid 0 with two hard drives and when I first installed them I had a major inprovement in performance but recently the performance has decreased considerable and i was wondering what i can do to get that performance back.

My specs:
Sony Vaio pcv-rx860
Pentuim 4
2.4 ghz
1gb memory
2 80 gb harddrives
dvd -+rw and cd-rom
silicon Image sil 0680 ultra 133 medely ata raid controler

Thanks for any help
Puppetgrimm1

I've been doing a dedicated partition for my swap file for some time now, and its a very good idea. And yes, where possible I've put that partition on a RAID 0 volume, or at least on a HDD on a controller not the same as the system disk's.

A single file on a partition DOES NOT GET FRAGMENTED. This is very, very good. Its completely sexy when its your swap file thats not getting fragmented.

Try to make the partition as close as possible to the start of the disk, as this also helps matters (I do recall reading somewhere....)

I would make about 2GB partition, format with NTFS for Windows XP, and then create swap file maybe 1GB in size. Try not to fill this partition more than 75% of the way, so work out in advance properly how big to make the partition.

Making this on a RAID 0 will be even cooler, because you are effectively getting a theorectical double, I guess, of read and write speed. This is only going to help things further.

Other operating systems like Linux have had dedicated partitions for some time now for swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back