page file usage problems can yu help?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

Hi, my page file usage is curently at about 759Mb when its usually at 213 or similar... I havent done anything out of the ordinary to it... im running the same things as i was yesterday when it was fine - what is up??? thanks very muhc, Toddy
:eek:

What he means is this:

1. Turn off the page file.
Right-click My Computer and choose Properties. Click the Advanced tab. Then the Settings button under Performance. Then the Advanced tab. Then the Change button on the bottom.
From here set the "No Paging File" option and click Set. Then OK and exit out of all that. It may be a good idea to restart too.

2. Defragment your hard drive.
Right-click the open desktop area and select Properties. Hit the Screensaver tab and turn off your screensaver, it can interrupt the defrag. Then close this.
Click Start, Run, and type "DFRG.MSC" and hit OK.
Whent he disk defrag box comes up, select your C: drive (or whatever your OS drive is), and click Defragment. Wait for the process to finish.

It's also a good idea to shut down any open programs while it's running. Meaning the icons by the clock and anything else. Some people do this from Safe Mode just to be sure everything is closed. That's a good idea too.

3. Once the defrag is done, repeat step 1 and turn your page file back on. It can also help to use a set size rather than a managed size. For example, take your RAM and multiply it by 1.5. If you have 512mb of RAM this makes 768MB. Set this as the minimum. Set the maximum to 2.5 times your RAM. So make the minimum to 768mb and the maximum to 1280mb. Then hit the Set button first. And click Okay and exit those screens.
Having a set size makes sure Windows automatically allocates at least that much, which helps prevent the swap from getting fragmented in the first place.

Once all that jazz is done, perhaps you could run a memory tester. I suggest memtest86. If you can, burn the ISO to a CD and boot off the CD. Get it from http://www.memtest86.com/#download0
If Windows thinks half your RAM is unusable, it will use more swap file.

Good luck.

BTW, just curious, what are you using to watch your page file, and why are you watching your page file anyways? Most people don't think twice about it.

Thanks Vigilante, you did a superb job explaining it. BTW, I was wondering how he noticed his pagefile also, I am like you said, I don't think twice about it. :haha: Toddy, how much RAM do you have? Maybe you might need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back