Page file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I put the page file on my slave drive? I've Googled the crap out of this, and have not found a definitive answer. The Techspot XP Memory Tweak Guide states the following "If you have multiple Hard Drives installed it is beneficial to locate the Page File on the Hard Drive XP is not installed to; but only where the other Hard Drive is of a similar or better performance, e.g. if you have a SATA Drive and ATA 100 Drive the Page File should be located on the SATA Drive regardless as it is notably faster", but the SATA and the ATA would be on different cables.
I have a Maxtor ATA/133 200 Gb HDD and a Western Digital Ultra ATA/100 120 Gb HDD.

Can anyone please give me a definitive answer.

Thanks.

1) there MUST be a page file on the boot disk
2) there can be another on any non-portable HD (ie not USB)

make the boot disk page file as small as possible and the other
as at lease 2x to 3x your installed ram, NOT managed by XP

I have a machine running the active boot disc does not have a page file or virtual ram on it
I have a 2nd drive with a small fat32 page file(1st partition) that I have pointed xp too
my physical memory is 1gb on that machine

is that to much info

you can point the dmp files to anywhere you want

You can tell XP to put the pagefile on any drive you want. With any hd made after about 2003 you are fine putting the page file on that drive really (performance isn't going to be much worse than any new drive unless its a raptor or a really expensive drive).

As far as XP having to have a pagefile on its system drive, thats only true in the sense that you can never really run without a pagefile even if you set XP to no paging file.

rc1299 said:
Thanks jobeard. Is the page file on the boot disk for the dump file?
it's needed briefly to get booted. it then just shares its proportion of the total swap allocation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back