page for beginners

tomrca

the worst thing about proposing an idea is the dreaded thought that it has been tried before and failed.

when i first started computing i was so bewilded with the terms used in computing it was frightening, it still is sometimes. so that kept me away!

it could be very useful to help beginners understand what they are doing with the machine they have, may also prevent silly mistakes that turn into giant ones.
i'm sure that patients must be needed for this. so what do you think??

yes thats what i mean, and after looking at it again i also mad an error with BEWILDERED.

i should check my spelling, but rarely do :D

Ignoring the spelling errors, which wasn't that serious as the post was still quite understandable, yes it could be a good idea...

Most of the info is available if you only know where to look, but being new to computers, it's not likely that they know.
It would be a serious undertaking to create a page with all the definitions and explanations that a newcomer would run into, but could be a good idea in the long run.

My suggestion is that instead of having one person responsible for creating it, use a thread in which everyone can contribute with words, acronyms, and explanations that they think is needed (and where people can ask for definitions of words etc), which in the end either can be compiled into a page, or cleaned by the moderators and made sticky.
This thread could've served the purpose, had it not been cluttered with utterances about spelling errors. Perhaps you should create a new thread in the meeting spot which could serve the purpose. (Or a moderator could clean and move this thread)

Hey, I was just trying to add a little humour. :)

For what it's worth though I think it's a pretty good idea, but I do feel that it could prove to be a pretty large subject range. I mean, a glossary of terms is one thing, but it goes further than that - there's simple things like how to copy and paste or how to run a command line instruction on one side of the spectrum and how to configure a web browser to use an anonymous proxy on the other.

All are very simple things that your novice computer user might be bewildered by. Where does it end? A guide on how to use forum facilities such as uploading files, vB code, posting polls etc could be a thread in it's own right.

I'd feel really sorry for any moderator tasked with cleaning up such a thread. It could end up being a monster task.

He he, wasn't targeting you directly, but rather that 4 of 5 posts was about spelling...

As for the monumental task, yes it would be if we were to include guides on how to do things. I was thinking that (at least at first) we'd create a thread about definitions, words and abbreviations where we'd list the most commonly used. More or less like a dictionary for newcomers.
It is of course possible to create small guides too, but those should at the very least be separated into different threads by what fields they cover (for example configuring web browser, services, regedit etc.).

OK, That's great. :)

I think though that if this is something that takes off, it might deserve a forum in it's own right. It would have a number of sticky posts (one for each section (eg, abreviations, web browser configuration, general usage)) and each post would contain links to threads.

For the mean time though, it would be great to have a post that tells new users what the difference between a trojan, virus and worm is, or what AGP, HTML, HJT, PCMCIA, HDD, FDD, IDE, S-ATA, quirks mode, MSIE, etc... (Point made methinks... there's a lot of them.)

There's just far too many acronyms in computers. It's like the medical profession where they seem to use latin names just to confuse you. I think you're right. New users may find it pretty useful.

Just to add some fuel

I really like the idea. I know if my mom had some PC trouble, and she came to this site, she would really have no idea how to even describe the problem.

The problem i see with it (as stated) is how to compile everything into one "post de knowlege" Maybe a bit like the hot deals section, where your post ahs to be approved in order to be added. (to avioide senseless or innacurate things)

Again though, i could really see this helping people out

Sean

i am pleased to see that the suggestion is being considered and feel that i have made a valid contribution to techspot.
referring to abbreviations. would it not be possible to insert an active link to a free online dictionary of acronyms etc, this way no need to be sitting for the next year listing them.
what you think?

ope my spellng diden make you laff this time..lol :haha:

AtK SpAdE said:
Just to add some fuel

I really like the idea. I know if my mom had some PC trouble, and she came to this site, she would really have no idea how to even describe the problem.

Im fairly new here so theres probably not much weight to my opinion..but isn't it kind of implied in the name "tech" spot that most people have a basic
understanding of computers whether it be hard ware or software..thats what attracted me to this site in the first place..when i first starting reading post's i realised how clued in the members where( I don't include myslef in that statement!)
Everyone has different level's thats a given...but anyone who's ever worked in a 1st level techsupport role will probably agree with me here..it could get really frustrating dealing with basic problems....
but then again the idea is to help people i suppose..I don't know Ive just confused myself :(

toffeapple said:
..but isn't it kind of implied in the name "tech" spot that most people have a basic understanding of computers
There are many people come here to get answers from experts as they have very little knowledge. The proposed section would be labelled 'for beginners' and so would not trouble the more knowlegeable.

toffeapple said:
but isn't it kind of implied in the name "tech" spot that most people have a basic
understanding of computers whether it be hard ware or software

I really have to disagree with you there. The real "angle" of the site is to help other with their problems. And who has the most questions? The people who dont know alot. I think a beginer section would help people make beter questions which in turn would help us give better answers.

Sean

AtK SpAdE
I too think this is a good idea.
Seems most ppl get here by googling the problem, TechSpot comes up
very often. Once here they begin to refine thier "tech knowledge" as a result
of finding us.

Thanks RBS!
Revised post below

Don't want to spoil your fun, but would it not be safer to put a .TXT attachment rather than a .DOC?
We all know how attractive .DOCs are to viruses/virii!
I would never open any .DOC file online!

Hmmm?

The more I look into this idea, even the most rudimentary guide/dictionary of PC terms is at least 8 pages of text, alphabetic indexes are huge. Most I've found cover inane terms, while missing many of the terms commonly in use here.
A couple links:

1.COMPUTER TERMINOLOGY

2.Common Computer Terms & Definitions

3.Computer Dictionary - PC Terminology

4.COMPUTER TERMINOLOGYthis one comes from agricultural and extension education?

5.High Tech Dictionary This is the best one so far, use the yellow tabs on the right.

Maybe the thing to do is use something like #3 or #5
I still like the idea though and think it may help all of us....

Back