Pagefiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory7

Im sure all the newbies round here annoy all you pc demi gods but ive heard of this pagefiling thing and how if you reduce it it can improve performance greatly. I hear you can only do it with a lot of ram though. I have default pagefiling and i have 512 ddr 400 ram so does anyone think i should alter it for better performance?

I'd say you shouldn't decrease it. 512 MB of RAM is not enough to run without a paging file, as your computer will become very slow when you try to use memory intesive applications or multitask. Nowhere near enough!

There are a variety of memory related things you can do to speed it up though.

Check this thread.

I've got 512 and run Windows XP pro with the Pagefile turned off most of the time. You probably just don't want to have Outlook, Photoshop, and Premier open at the same time.

i have 512mb ddr400 and i set my pagefile max and minimum at 512 and i saw a little increase in performance.

lol. Quite true SNGX. I guess I'm imposing what I do with my machine on others. lol

I still say that it's better to have SOME kind of paging availiable though. If nothing else, it ensures that if you do decide to have photoshop, adobe acrobat reader, and <insert name of memory hungry program here. lol>, you'll run it without too many problems.

You need about 10MB pagefile on the Windoze-partition. Put the rest (about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of your RAM) on a different HD if you can, preferably on the first (=fastest) partition of that drive. That is for optimal performance. Make the pagefile(s) fixed rather than variable to prevent defragmentation.

Personally, I (yes, I'm guilty) still run it at Windows-managed. I don't run a log of mem hogs and I'm running 768MB. This is on a 1.3 T-Bird (upgrading REAL soon) and it does everything I want with no issues whatsoever. I've read tons of articles on pagefiles, tried out some recommendations and this is how I end up.

Just my $.02 :D

i set mine to 200 and things seems a little better. I followed the article on guides and it seems to be cool now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back