paging file

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my Compaq presario 1200 laptop with 60 mb ram win xp pro no service packs ( I will be up grading soon)

I moved my paging file to my usb removable 128 mb.
When I defrag there is a larg red spot where my page file was how can i get rid of it ( it stays red evin after i defrag) tks for any info!!

Why would you put the pagefile on your usb drive? I could maybe see if it was a really old comp and you had a usb 2.0 card in there and a USB 2.0 drive....

In any case, in XP right click on my computer and go to properties -> Advanced -> performance section -> Settings -> advanced tab -> virtual memory -> change. Then make sure you remove it from your drive that way, it will not remove until you hit set after you select No Paging File.

After that reboot, and if pagefile.sys still exists on your drive (going to need to have hidden system files showing), you should be able to just delete it.

*Note - You aren't goign to get XP to run on 60 megs of ram without a pagefile, so you will need to make sure you establish one somewhere else.

Check to make sure you do not have hibernation enabled. If the hiberfile exists, it is also locked.

Correct me if I am wrong but from Microsofts site.

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

And you do not meet the minimum in the ram area...

No..you might get XP to load with those specs, but you wont be able to use it much.What i recommend is 384megs min of Ram,K7 or higher cpu,7200rpmHdd as a basic minimum.

I told you how to get rid of it. If thats not what you were looking for then please restate the problem.

sorry!! I sent that message to the wrong person.
Im new to this board.
He was telling me what I need to run xp
sorry again.

I moved my paging file to my usb drive to help my computer run faster
it workes.
In system props it says no paging file.
When I defrag using diskeeper pro, where paging used to be
it remains all red in color like fragmented files and not yellow

If you go to where I said you can move the location of the page file. Make sure you click that set button, or else it won't save the changes you made. After that and the suggestion about the hibernation file I'm not sure what to tell you other than move the files you need off that usb drive, then format the usb drive, and then put the files back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back