Painfully slow bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Ify

I have been having this problem for a while now... and when i thought it went away it came back again.

Whenever i turn on my computer it takes anywhere from 1-2 hours to bootup... my computer is really fast and is built for gaming. Once my computer boots its as fast as its supposed to be.

I just reformatted my computer yesterday.... took me about 3 hours to do so because its so painfully slow.... and once it reformatted it booted up fast. Once I had shut down however it became slow again.

I looked at all of the usual problems, defrag, i just reformatted so i know too many programs isnt an issue and i have an oem versoin of xp so when i reformat nothing is installed

I dont think its a hardware problem... at first i thought faulty ram... but i used some other ram chips i had around and it was the same.

Then i thought it may be my harddrive but once i get into windows it reads and writes as fast as its supposed to.

My system specs are in my signature and I built the computer myself. I just got a new power supply and i built the computer about 4 months ago. If you can help it would be greatly appricated.

Thanks,
Ify

is it an IDE hard drive? if so, do you have any other devices on the same IDE controller ?

or are there any IDE Controllers that have more than 1 device? ie. 1 CD ROM + 1 DVD on same cable... ?

just a thought..

It is an IDE harddrive and nothing is on the same controller... im on a network but if i disconnect the ethernet cable its still slow

well usually its better if you uninstall and remove the network card, but on retrospect if you've reinstalled windows and it's still slow then I expect it's got nothing to do with the network drivers. Have you tried your hard drive in another system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back