TechSpot

Painting Hard Drive ?

By r1_forever
Apr 4, 2004
  1. Does anyone think painting a Hard Drive in high temp engine paint would do anything adverse to the drives performance or longetivity? I want to spray it in metallic blue as I have a Clear Case that has a blue tint to it. I have done the CD/RW in it and it looks great, but I'de love to finish it off now so to speak.
    Andrew.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I don't think you'll be in any more danger than you already are with a mechanical disk drive. ;)

3. BrownPaper

BrownPaper TS Rookie Posts: 467

would the paint insulate the heat from the hard drive? if yes, would it make that much of a difference?

4. lalaji

lalaji TS Rookie Posts: 155

Id say go for it and buy a hard drive cooler. That way you should be fine.

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Nah, you'd be fine. I wouldnt even take the caution of getting a hd cooler. I doubt the paint would insulate the heat.

6. Moimit

Moimit TS Rookie Posts: 136

that would rock. nice idea just like when i tried to put radiator fluid in a friends water cooling. i just say go for it.

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

The paint unless you are brushing it on real thick will have a very minimal insulative effect. Provided you keep the paint out of the breathe holes you should be just fine.

8. r1_forever

r1_forever TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. Think I just needed some pushing in that direction. Will let you know it goes and post a pic.
    Andrew.

9. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

That'd be great. I'm sure it will turn out pretty neat in the end.

10. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Good idea, maybe if I run across a less subtle (maybe a lightish, UV reactive) red paint I should try that with mine. I haven't done anything for my computer recently aesthetics wise, and that may be a cool spring break project (since I'm not going anywhere :() I would only do the part that's stickout and you can see, if I were you, that's all i would do - no point to do anything beyond. Painting the metal on the side of my drive encasements would be cool too...

11. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

You'll invalidate the warranty, but I guess you already know that. I wouldn't do it to a brand new drive just in case.

12. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

So I shouldn't do it to my 74GB Raptor? ;)

13. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Not until the 5 year warranty runs out. ;)

14. Hitman`

Hitman` TS Rookie Posts: 77

Heh, that drive paint wouldbe pretty awesome. i have a clear uv case myself and i wanna make those stand out like my fans, cables and case do. i wanted to spray paint my cpu fan, a turbine cooler, and my drives. let me know how it goes, most liekly ill follow suit if you dont run itno anything.

good luck :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.