Palm PDA<->Outlook sync software that DOES NOT REQUIRE admin privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgaliegue

Hello all,

I've been looking for some time for a $subject but I can't find anything so far :(

This f... sucker of PalmDesktop REQUIRES to run as an admin in order to do anything, with all the security problems that this implies... So, do I have a solution other than changing the ACLs on all of the PalmDesktop directory, ie a correctly written piece of software that can do the same things as PalmDesktop, but as a user?

I have found that you only have to install it under Admin , mine all run fine After I revert the user back to normal.
eg. I add my wife " User Limitied " to the Admin group . Install the software logged on her account . Hotsync. then Remove her from Admin .
It's a small pain , but it works.

Interesting... Maybe it means that she has the ownership on the files? If the ownership is set to the user and not the group, it's normal that she can use it, then.

But I bet another user won't be able to do so, right?

Not really ,XP demands that software be installed as an Admin, this is mostly for security.
PDA's get their identity from what ever you sync them to eg, Outlook. The everyday activity of adding/deleting files from a PDA does not need ownership in windows as long as those files are on a drive/s the User has rights to.

You can sync that PDA to another user you have to do the same process to instal Programs.
You can do this process with any User . However the PDA will only sync with a Unique User name , but it can sync with another(more than 1) user. You can change Profiles in Outlook / Outlook Exp.
Just remember to watch the memory on the PDA

Liquidlen said:
PDA's get their identity from what ever you sync them to eg, Outlook. The everyday activity of adding/deleting files from a PDA does not need ownership in windows as long as those files are on a drive/s the User has rights to.

Well, that's not the case for PalmDesktop, unfortunately! It wants to write somewhere the normal user doesn't have write access to and as a result is useless if you're not an admin...

Crappy piece of software, that is.

I just upgraded my wife's palm v to a tungsten E2 (Palm desktop Version 4.0 +). She is a limited user on her machine and she Sync's to Outlook 2003. I installed all of her software just as I described above . After the first sync with her in the Admin group. I changed her back to a User ,but she has Read Write permissions under windows security for each Drive .
It works perfectly.
I followed all of these directions from Palm support and I downloaded the Palm desktop software from their site instead of using the software off the install disk (This is an update file)
I suggest you do some searching at Palm Support , as maybe there is something I cannot see on your machine that you will catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back