panasonic (aka mat****a/matsu****a) DVD-RAM UJ850S optical drive--not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
??? due to a device driver problem of this model

I have recently bought a Panasonic (?Mat****a or Matsu****a, which are both effectively the same right??) DVD-RAM optical drive, model UJ850S which connects to my IBM Thinkpad R40 via USB. When plugged in, the windows XP SP2 immediately recognises it as a CD-rom drive and said "device ready to use".
I have also installed the DVD-RAM drivers that comes with the Product CD.

HOWEVER, I have NEVER so far been able to read or write to this drive. It also gives me frequent blue screen hang on my PC, and Microsoft said in its error report that the hang is due to device driver problem.

how you help?? I have searching on the Internet for almost a week, without any success in finding further drivers or updated discussion about this model of DVD-RAM drive.

Equipment: IBM Thinkpad R40, 1.33Gb Pentium M, 768Mb ram, 20Gb HDD bundled CD/DVDRom, most updated IBM BIOS for R40 model
Device in question: Panasonic ( Mat****a/Matsu****a) UJ850S DVD-RAM optical drive

vkng

Are you sure you had to install the drivers - CD/DVD drives should Just work in Windows XP.

Some Ram drive software will conflict with some ROM authoring software programs ie, Nero. Also make sure you do not have more than one packet writing program going. XP's own and INCD will conflict .
Check at the websites for any of these softwares you may have.

Nodsu said:
Are you sure you had to install the drivers - CD/DVD drives should Just work in Windows XP.
I am not sure if I really have to install the 'drivers' that come with the product CD. In fact I had uninstalled these on few occasions but the DVD-RAM drive still did not work even with just the 'native' drivers offered by XP.

Liquidlen said:
Some Ram drive software will conflict with some ROM authoring software programs ie, Nero. Also make sure you do not have more than one packet writing program going. XP's own and INCD will conflict .
Check at the websites for any of these softwares you may have.
to complicate my ongoing issues further:-- I tried on several occasions just to 'write the CD' onto the DVD-RAM drive using windows; and had my Nero 'turned off'. Still the drive would not work.
does it mean that I have to actually uninstall my Nero or re-install my Nero without the InCD component??

I do not know your Nero version but my ver 6 does not support my LG DVD with ram.
I believe you should first make sure that you have Nero(with latest updates) working properly with windows writing software turned off.If your onboard DVD is write capable use it only to TEST the Nero system.
A Ram drive is NOT the same as an atapi drive, and they do not use the same drivers to function.
Once you have Nero working >
You should go to the web for your Ram and read the full instuctions for installation , plus check for known conflicts with other types ( atapi) software/hardware.

Liquidlen said:
I do not know your Nero version but my ver 6 does not support my LG DVD with ram.
I believe you should first make sure that you have Nero(with latest updates) working properly with windows writing software turned off.If your onboard DVD is write capable use it only to TEST the Nero system.
A Ram drive is NOT the same as an atapi drive, and they do not use the same drivers to function.
Once you have Nero working >
You should go to the web for your Ram and read the full instuctions for installation , plus check for known conflicts with other types ( atapi) software/hardware.
thank you Liquidlen. Mine is a Nero 6, and my IBM thinkpad only comes with a dvd/cd rom, not writable. I shall follow your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back