Panasonic releases new Toughbook 53 rugged laptop

By Jos
May 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Panasonic has unveiled the latest addition to its line of rugged notebook computers: the Toughbook 53. The machine sports second-generation Intel Core i3 and i5 processors, 3G and 4G LTEā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,045   +37

1599 for the more affordable one... ya right. I'd just get a kickass laptop for 1000 and buy 599 worth of padding... enough to drop from the top of a building like the egg experiment we use to do in elementary school. You guys remember doing that? couldnt let the egg break.
  3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 947   +45

The difference is, barring from an engineering breakthrough you would not be able use your laptop in your cocoon enclosure of bubble wrap,rubber bands, and packaging peanuts. Nor would you be able to use it during a sub zero night during a saharan dust storm. You're completely missing the point: These laptops are designed for heavy duty military/government/industrial use where they HAVE to be able to take an immense beating while running in a possibly hazardous environment. Hell, I've seen vids of panasonic Toughbooks having their outer enclosures being wailed on by a baseball bat and barely taking a scratch. That kind of durability costs some real money.
  4. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TechSpot Member Posts: 75

I've got to mess with a few of the models before this one and man are they tough. The only thing they really need to fix is the crappy touchpad, so annoying to use when the mouse would twitch all over and sometimes not even move. Had the same results across 5 BRAND NEW units.
  5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 947   +45

Sounds like normal touchpad nonsense to me. =p
  6. optimistnyc

optimistnyc Newcomer, in training

How about a Really Rugged tablet which could drop out of your backpack rock climbing and probably survive intact? Maybe this looks a little smoother but how rugged is survival of a 30inches drop? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HtfkySHWI for the Xplore C4 being dropped from atop a ladder and the just released C5 must have at least equal ability to survive a NINE foot drop repeated. Of course the video doesn't actually show it working again but wouldn't be very honest if it didn't....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.