TechSpot

Pandora One hikes monthly subscription fee for new users, scraps annual subscription

1. Pandora has announced a hike in the monthly subscription fee of Pandora One, a premium service that allows users to listen without advertising. Starting in May, new users will have to pay a subscription fee of $4.99 per month. "Over...

Read more

2. insect

insect TS Booster Posts: 227   +63

I don't see the need to pay. It's nice of them to offer this for free. I just use AdBlock and boom... no more ads. Every couple hours on the PC I have to tell it to resume. Also have adblock on my rooted phone so no ads there either (and no need to resume playback). On-demand media has made the old advertising models obsolete, so either you find a new way to make money (I.e., not ads) or you go away. Perhaps Pandora is on the road to the latter if they can't get people to subscribe. Of course if all of the streaming services went to a pay-only model there are still other free (even if not legal) options.

3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,192   +246

Pandora the worst service in the world, its not even available in the top 5 countries in the world!

4. Bryon Howley

Bryon Howley TS Rookie

As long as it is available in the US,and it is, that is all that matters. Pandora works on my phone tablet PC and TV and has great service no drop outs and as said with ad blockers turned on on my PC Phone and Tablet I have no problems with ads either.

5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 972   +52

It's too bad that not only the price is going up, but moreso the fact that royalty rates keep increasing; most of that royalty increase probably does not even go to the artists (unless they own their own label)...

I was about to say "well I was thinking about going pandora one but not anymore" but then I realized... if I was going to do it I would have done it a long time ago, so it is a moot point. If QoS drops for some reason in the long run there is always iHeartRadio or similar services.

6. GunsAblazin

GunsAblazin TS Rookie Posts: 75

That's sad news. I don't see why they can't offer an annual Plan for $45 / $55 (Loyalty / New users). Now that I know AdBlock removes the commercials I just won't bother renewing my subscription. Thanks @insect.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.