Pandora ripper= legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if I owned the original I wouldn't need this would I :p

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Why wouldn't it be legal?

What's the difference between recording songs you hear from regular FM radio and this one? I don't see any.

See, yeah, that's what I'm saying, except I'm not sure. The laws are kinda funky and confusing around here.

But but but, that is illegal as well! Think of all the artists that can no longer afford gold plated bath tubs! You sick man, you!

ps. it's perfectly legal to rip/burn mp3s downloaded from eMusic, one of the few online music vendors worth supporting. ;)

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Why wouldn't it be legal?

What's the difference between recording songs you hear from regular FM radio and this one? I don't see any.
The difference is the quality. The Industry is happy enough letting you carry around crap quality recordings, but once you get a digital copy that sounds like a cd (ok maybe you'll argue Pandora doesn't sound like a cd, but it sounds better than FM) they get upset.

I'm not sure if it's a quality argument. I just think the media content lobbies are trying to find new ways to make consumers pay for the same content. Copying a DVD to play on an iPod lowers the quality quite a bit, but the lobbies would much rather you pay a 2nd time to be able to play a movie on your iPod even if you own the original. It's all about making more money out of the same content.

The quality argument was one I've heard many places for why Cassette Tapes were not part of this war on duplicating music. Every time you made a copy the quality got worse. With digital, every time you make a copy the quality remains identical.

I remember wanting a song so badly when I was young, I actually took a blank casette and recorded it from a show on TV :haha: !

But in the days of cassettes our choices were so very limited...I was rummaging through some 'Stuff" left over from several moves and discovered a box of cassettes. Some withstood time (And moisture) most did not.

It's the same with cd's. Think of how much you may use a cd, and then with constant use, it will wear out; I was reading this in a magazine. They said that a cd has a 5-year lifespan. My quesion is, why does my version of Sim Tower work so perfectly at 11 years old?

cfitzarl said:
It's the same with cd's. Think of how much you may use a cd, and then with constant use, it will wear out; I was reading this in a magazine. They said that a cd has a 5-year lifespan. My quesion is, why does my version of Sim Tower work so perfectly at 11 years old?

Well, pc games don't actually run off the game, as I'm sure you know. What I'm getting at is, I wonder if the estimated lifespan is estimated including the amount of time the media is expected to be in use, or it's expected lifetime with it just sitting there. I remember seeing an article on burned cd's and it gave the lifespan of such to be between 2-5 years. I hardly find that accurate. So I guess I"m agreeing with your point and just adding a little.

Yeah that cant be right! The very first CD I ever bought was by Deep Purple. That was prbably 20 years ago! Although I havent pulled it out to have a listen in several years. I betcha' it still plays. I have never heard that 5 year life thing.

I doubt stamped cds kept out of extreme temps and out of intense UV light will ever go bad.

Burned cds are the ones that are supposed to die in 5 years. But even that is BS in practice.

halo71 said:
Yeah that cant be right! The very first CD I ever bought was by Deep Purple. That was prbably 20 years ago! Although I havent pulled it out to have a listen in several years. I betcha' it still plays. I have never heard that 5 year life thing.

Not to side track the conversation, but your Deep Purple purchase reminded me of my Cheap Trick Dream Police first cd purchase. I still burn mp3's off of it. That was a long time ago at any rate. I have heard of the time limit, but, so far, I have not run into a problem.

I have every cd I own ripped as a mp3 just due to the fact I don't want to play my cd's and only play my MP3's :)

Can't wear them out if you don't use em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back