Panicking!! Please respond- HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am moving my slave hard drive from one computer to the other. It will remain my slave and my master will be a new, reformatted 80 gig hard drive. Will I have any problems sticking my slave in and having all my info? Thanks for the response.

Send said:
I am moving my slave hard drive from one computer to the other. It will remain my slave and my master will be a new, reformatted 80 gig hard drive. Will I have any problems sticking my slave in and having all my info? Thanks for the response.

Hi

None that I can think of, I moved a slave drive between 2 server units and had to reassign the rights of the users, but I dont think you will have to do that as the server was running Win2K server not XP.

You might find that you will have to take ownership of some of your files in the new system, you will know when you find some files are now Read Only.Other than that there should be no issues, as long as there is no O/S on that drive.

Liquidlen said:
You might find that you will have to take ownership of some of your files in the new system, you will know when you find some files are now Read Only.Other than that there should be no issues, as long as there is no O/S on that drive.
What do you mean "ownership"? How would I do that?

you have to reset permission or ownership of drive in security advanced settings (XP pro)
in XP home try on boot F8 safe and then you can get to security
tick the box below that says replace permission on child objects
go to tab (owner0
see if it says administrators or has a strange number letter setting
add you name if you are admin or add administrators
remove other id
some systems you will not have to do this
as far as files should all be accessable as far as loaded programs you will have to reload
your new OS has not put the programs in reg or listed any dlls they might need

Samstoned said:
you have to reset permission or ownership of drive in security advanced settings (XP pro)
in XP home try on boot F8 safe and then you can get to security
tick the box below that says replace permission on child objects
go to tab (owner0
see if it says administrators or has a strange number letter setting
add you name if you are admin or add administrators
remove other id
some systems you will not have to do this
as far as files should all be accessable as far as loaded programs you will have to reload
your new OS has not put the programs in reg or listed any dlls they might need

Hi Samstoned,

This same thing happened to me a month ago. Could you please explain (pretty please) step by step in lamen terms. I want to archive this for future use. I had to use a third party program because I couldn't find the answer.

Thank you so much!

Rilla927

Rilla927 said:
Hi Samstoned,

This same thing happened to me a month ago. Could you please explain (pretty please) step by step in lamen terms. I want to archive this for future use. I had to use a third party program because I couldn't find the answer.

Thank you so much!

Rilla927

Hi

I threw this together coz I feel it might help, it applies to XP although I think 2K is the same routine

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/judslat/rights/

Regards

you beat me to it
how about a short vid with clicks and a little talk
I think I got one around this dump somewhere

good work. great .book marked

The webpage

Hi all

Thanks for the appreciation, it was a quick job which Is why it looks a bit rough, I'll tidy it up a bit tonight as I have some spare time,

As for a video, If you can find that Samstoned let me know if not I could do one I think, It may include the actual fitting of a drive as well....errmm I feel a "Directors cut" in the making ....:D

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back