TechSpot

Parents to receive iTunes credit, cash payments to settle Apple in-app purchase lawsuit

By Shawn Knight
Jun 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’re the parent of a minor child that unknowingly made in-app purchases on an iOS device under Apple’s old purchase rules, listen up. Apple on Monday announced details of a settlement related to a class action lawsuit covering this...

Read more

2. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 727   +30

Does this include the UK

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,811   +921

Oh joyous day! This is outstanding news, more fulfilling than the second coming....[ ].... (*) . Everybody in the world will get fifty cents each, and the lawyers will get millions.

(*) edited out

4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Lol wasn't there an email from facebook about that

5. captaincranky

Well what about we luddites from the dark dial up ages? You know, the people that wouldn't touch Facebook with your ten foot pole. Shouldn't we be kept abreast of the latest Apple scandal?

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

"Apple points out that the settlement isn?t an admission of any wrongdoing"
    Of course not. Apple has been and never will be guilty of any wrongdoings. At least that's what they think, everybody else knows differently.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Heh, heh. I've never complained about anything that saves labor. I've complained about FB because it's laborious to use.

8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,119   +723

I'm not familiar with the details of the case, but I think the parents deserve some blame here. I have a child who has used my Nook tablet or phone and I've made sure she knows not to try to buy anything. Android apps require a password to purchase, but Barnes and Noble books don't. However I get an email anytime a purchase is made so I'll find out right away if something is bought. Maybe iOS doesn't have these precautions.

What's next, blame the bank if a kid gets their hands on the VISA and buys something online? I know if someone uses your card (or account) without your permission you're not always liable, but when it's your own device, in your own house used by someone who has your permission, then it starts to get a little hazy.

9. captaincranky

A sociopath never admits to any wrong doing either. Plus, whatever happens to one of them, it's somebody else's fault

10. Can I just throw the paper a way and not get a settlement

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.