Pareto Logic updated now Avira won't enable

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

The PL update wasn't just an update of definitions, it was some kind of application update.
Ever since that moment, Avira wouldn't even show up in the startup panel, and even when opening the application window and trying to click on "enable" it won't do anything and there are red warning icons for the service for scan and for update. Even going into msconfig it says it is not "started" and I can't do anything about it - no choices to start it, etc.

Also I noticed a number of my other applications show status of "stopped".

I restored from the last restore point and now at least the Avira and superantispyware icons show up in the startup panel, but the Avira won't enable.
I have tried exiting PL but that doesn't help.

I can't find any place in PL to go into to allow Avira or anything like that, either.

My paid subscription for PL is just a few days from expiring, I'm tempted to uninstall it and see if that gets me back to operational.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks much!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that either just before or after that PL update, RealPlayer also did some kind of application update.
I just tried to start it but now it won't start at all, either.

EDIT 2: Well, again restored to a prev setting, no help. So uninstalled PL and restarted but Avira still wouldn't Start, so uninstalled that, too, then downloaded a fresh version of Avira & installed and now it works.

Hmmm. Thanks for that link!

I had already uninstalled it, now my new download of Avira works.

I still can't get RealPlayer to open, though. I just get a flash of the icon then it quits,
like something is blocking it. Happened after it updated itself. I guess it is sort of
"intrusive" though, so just may not worry about it. I did find the file of all the downloads
I had done with it and can open them with a flv player app.

Just a thought- since your security wasn't working properly, you might want to check the system for malware. If you do, please follow the steps HERE.

Attach the 3 logs in your next reply.
It's your call.

Another suggestion...
Uninstall RealPlayer and get Real Alternative: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_Alternative.htm
Does very same thing as crappy RealPLayer.

Uh, not on my computer.

It tries to play things with Media Player Classic - definitely not an improvement!

And in the FAQ it says you may have to do all kinds of renaming
and other gyrations to play some of these files, and you have to
close and reopen to play a file again.

That surely can't be what you were saying does the same thing
as RealPlayer?

When I click on RealAlternative in START - Programs it only and repeatedly takes me to Configurations. The only thing I see that will
(supposedly) actually play anything is Media Player Classic.

NOT what I "signed up for"!

Am I missing something?

Please explain.

Thx

Just a thought- since your security wasn't working properly, you might want to check the system for malware. If you do, please follow the steps HERE.

Attach the 3 logs in your next reply.
It's your call.

There apparently was only 1 security thing not working, that Pareto Logic anti spyware. After I uninstalled that and then did a restore back to the last point, then uninstalled and re-downloaded and re-installed Avira, now everything's working fine. I have scanned with Avira, with Malwarebytes and with Superantispyware and have come up clean, too, so believe I'm OK now.

Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back