Parity error on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipopo

hello,
i have a problem that keeps coming every now and then. i have a computer with linux and windows installed on it. when i boot, just before i get to the screen that lets me choose the operating system i want to load, i get a message that says i have a parity fail and that i can press F1 to continue or F2 to reboot. sometimes pressing those buttons does something and sometimes it doesn't.
i don't think there are other problems on my pc and it seems that this error doesn't effect anything else (exept my patience) but none the less i would like your opinion on what i should do about it.
i attached 2 aida reports about my system that might help.

Does it explain in more detail where did the parity error occur?

Most likely it means bad RAM. Please test with memtest86(+).

As far as i remember there's no further explanation.
I found this page but i don't really know which option to choose and what to do with it (it's not a usual installation is it?).

ok, i found out that my ubuntu has memtest86 v 1.65 on it (i can choose to run the test before startup) so i ran the test although i'm not quite sure how exactly its supposed to work. i mean that i just keeps on going over and over, is that how its supposed to be? anyways, i let it run until the first line with the "pass" heading got to 100% and it seems like everything is alright, there were no errors found. the test seemed to continue but i chose to restart as it was already running for 15 minutes or even more.
what do make of this? should i run the test again and leave it until it finishes?

The test never finishes - it runs forever. You may want to leave the thing running overnight. If there are no errors reported, then the RAM is probably OK.

Another place where you can get parity errors from are hard drives and their cabling. You may want to go over the HD cables and make sure they are all firmly plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back