Parser Error: Failed at Line 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, do I need your help...I've been trying to fix my comupter for 2 days, to no avail. Although, I believe I know what's wrong with it now.

I installed StyleXP and ObjectDock onto my machine a few days ago. Since then, I've been having the following problems:

1. I cannot shutdown the computer, or restart.

2. When I reboot, this message pops up: Parser Message: Value Creation Failed at Line 40.

3. I attempted to uninstall StyleXP once I saw people having this same problem after they began using a non-windows theme, but I cannot uninstall it, nor can I uninstall Object Dock.

I found this post from someone on this message board, and it seemd to be just what I was looking for.

This error can occur after installing SP1 when you are running a non Microsoft visual style and the folder containing the customised styleshell.dll has a differing name from the themes name (as shown in the appearances tab).
To get rid of this error, you can switch back to a Microsoft Theme or go to
c:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\<Name of theme in use> and rename the shell folder to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance tab. If you have a theme with multiple variations you MUST make this change for each subfolder containing a differing styleshell.dll file.
See: http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showthread.php?t=910

There is some malware that can generate this message at startup as well. Clean the computer of pests.
See, for example: http://support.gateway.com/s/MISC/V...shootsu29.shtml

1. Open regedit (click Start > Run > type "regedit" ) and go to key "HOT_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon". There you will found the value "UIHost". Change the data there to point to the full path of a valid logonui.exe. (C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe). Exit regedit.

2. And then Insert your xp installation disc and click on Start> Run> "sfc /scannow" without the quoted and click on OK. (Please leave a space between sfc and /scannow and click on OK.)

3. Click on Start> Run> type "defrag c: -b" without the quote...after the defragmentation is completed, restart the pc.

p.s i assumed u're using Windows XP

I did go into Regedit and repoint the full path to C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe...However, I'm unable to run the install disc at all :( I can see the files on the disc, but when I click "SETUP" it does nothing...

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what to do here.

If anyone can help me, I will be eternally grateful! thank you so much in advance!

Also..I tried to run the Windows Repair off the Install disc..but Windows won't even run my install disc.

Please, if someone could help me..I'm desperate here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back