Partioning problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyrockstar

i get partition problems when i install red hat linux.
when i first did it it was fine but now after i install it the drives have errors. when i try to open partition magic, it says it cant identify the drive letters and when i open partition info, it says something about the drive not being one head away from the ebpr.
is linux somehow changing the drive letters or something?

when i partitioned the hd i used partition magic and used the "install operating system wizard". it created a ext2 and swap partitions. before i install linux there are no errors.

it says it cant identify the partitioned drive letters and about something not being one head away from the epbr.
what is the epbr?

Does it offer to fix these problems?

If you, I think you can click yes.

I think that the linux installation program makes changes to the partition table which partition magic does not like.

Make a backup of any important data before running partitioning tools like partition magic in this fashion, though.

Originally posted by coreyrockstar what is the epbr?
EPBR = Extended Partition Boot Record.

My advice for partitioning is to use only one partitioning application for all tasks at a time. Do everything with Partition Magic or do everything with Linux's fdisk, otherwise they'll start complaining.

Hi there :wave:

And If you can get a hold of partitiion magic ver6 :wave: this works great with REDHAT no-one ever had a problem partitioning a LNX drive with this version, (sometimes the newer versions miss something on the LNX part"n) but the older ver's Ver6 & Ver7 work great!!!

Good Luck:hotbounce :hotbounce

Bye :wave:

Originally posted by wisdom
Hi there :wave:

And If you can get a hold of partitiion magic ver6 :wave: this works great with REDHAT no-one ever had a problem partitioning a LNX drive with this version, (sometimes the newer versions miss something on the LNX part"n) but the older ver's Ver6 & Ver7 work great!!!

Good Luck:hotbounce :hotbounce

Bye :wave:

He'll have the serious problem that PQPM6 doesn't run on recent versions of Windows

You'll also note that his problems have nothing to do with the Linux partition moving/making sections of PQPM, but are with his disk geometry. Moving back to an older version of PQPM will not help in this regard. At all.

Originally posted by MYOB
He'll have the serious problem that PQPM6 doesn't run on recent versions of Windows

You'll also note that his problems have nothing to do with the Linux partition moving/making sections of PQPM, but are with his disk geometry. Moving back to an older version of PQPM will not help in this regard. At all.

Well we're all invited to have our own opinion...
(He did'nt say if he was using WinXP, I thought he could have been using any of Win98,Winme, win2000 or WinNT or even Win2003)
About a year ago we had the same problem it was with 39 hard drives for a banking system we put into a French bank, we used PQPM6 and it worked, set the partitions we needed and we were able to get ALL the hard drives working fine:)
To this day I think they have upgraded some what, but the system we put in STILL works fine.
So maybe you should try it again, because it definately worked for us (with a little help from the Partition Magic team).
The PM team told us, that the older versions of PM would repair this problem because older versions look only for the first 28 bits of code (the partition info, and that the newer versions look for min 64 bits or more), and that with using WinXP that the OS seeks more info to input into WinXP system (something to do with system restore files) and that LNX does'nt need that much of infomation to operate properly, and it was definately REDHAT we used, (because the bank was partially funded by a bank in Munich),(Germany loves LNX) and with the more recent types of coding in Windows OS the MBR of the hard drive has become larger and larger.
Although there is now an easier way to fix this with, "Active@ Disk Image" and also this works great with LNX drives too :grinthumb :grinthumb :grinthumb :grinthumb

Originally posted by wisdom
the older versions of PM would repair this problem because older versions look only for the first 28 bits of code (the partition info, and that the newer versions look for min 64 bits or more), and that with using WinXP that the OS seeks more info to input into WinXP system (something to do with system restore files) and that LNX does'nt need that much of infomation to operate properly, and with the more recent types of coding in Windows OS the MBR of the hard drive has become larger and larger.
Master Boot Record is the cylinder 0, head 0, sector 1 of the hard disk drive. That's 512 bytes.

Are you saying that computers with XP have partition table larger than 156 bytes (excluding the last 0x55AA)?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Master Boot Record is the cylinder 0, head 0, sector 1 of the hard disk drive. That's 512 bytes.

Are you saying that computers with XP have partition table larger than 156 bytes (excluding the last 0x55AA)?

No, I think they're wibbling. Totally and utterly wibbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back