Partition Commander and Partition Magic problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

I used partition commander (V8) to partiton the hard drive of my Dell Laptop Latitude D600, to 3 types:

NTFS(primary)and Extended Linux(Ext3) and Solaris (primary).

I installed 3 OSs successfully (Windows 2000 server, FC3, Solaris 10), without any problem.

But When I tried to use the partition commander utility later (boot from DOS)to verify (under Tools->Validate) the NTFS partition, it hung up and it did not go through.
By the way when I installed only windows (before I installed the other two), I have got no problem.

The same problem happened with partition commander before also (i.e. this is not the first time).

And I had expierenced similar problem (not same) with Partition Magic (it told there is error in the partition do you want to fix it? some thing like this) also.

I realized (but not sue), whenever I installed more than one OSs on the same Hard Disk, then later on if I want to check the hard disk with the same utility that I used to partition that hard disk, I expeirenced the problem.

Have any one had same problem ?

I imagine the problem is one of the other operating systems doing weird things with the disk or just shortcomings of your checking utility.

It is a known bug in Partition Magic that asks you if you want to "fix" your partition table and then screws it up big time. Just say no.

If your operating systems boot and work OK then don't sweat about it.

BTW why make the Linux partition extended?

BTW why make the Linux partition extended?
I meant, I created extended primary partition which can contains many logical partitions, some of them(logical prtitions) has been reserved for linux's file system

Operating system failure

hi, first i started trying to add a second operating system to my XP and used partition magic. so i followed the steps using partition magic 8.0 and clicked add another operating system, so it created me a new partition on wich i could install Win ME, i restarted the pc, and as if all other partitions where deleted. PLZ help me recover my windows XP or at least a way to make this multipleboot work... HELP>>>

You can NOT install ME after XP.
If you want multiple Windows OS, they MUST be installed in this sequence:
W95/W98-W98SE/W2000/ME/XP/W2003
You can recover your XP by following the Read: How to... at the top of the Windows forum. You need to delete ME, and use the space for something useful.
ME is the worst Windows ever made, why would you want that crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back