Partition Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Its fairly simple to explain and im wondering if you can help me get back what I "lost"
The thing is :

I have a Pentium 4 2.8 HT chip with 1 Gb RAM and 200 GB WD HD that I build myself and used without problems until windows stated acting kinda weirs( the search only showed the little dog and none if the options andf other minimal stuff)

I created on my 200 GB HD a 60Gb partition with partition magic 8 It created it and the computer recognized it as another hard drive (G:/)as its supposed to

I placed very important stuff I needed in that partition and to make sure they worked I used those documents from the 60 Gb partition (G:/) and they worked I heard the songs I worked on some Designs (Im a graphic artist)from the G:/ partition. The thing is I reinstalled Windows XP on the original (C:/) drive becaused it had some problems. When I installed windows I selected to install it on the C:/ partition it started then it ran a check disk on the (G:/)drive and it "recovered orphaned files" it took a long time for that then it continued to install windows the thing is when it finished installing windows I went to check the data on the (G:/) partition and it still there, all the files, all the songs, the pictures, the text files but they dont work its like all the data became corrupt.

The only thing it opens are the simple text files everything else is corrupt the pictures dont work, the songs do not run, the program installers I placed on the partition dont work and everything has the same size in Mb or Kb but its like all the data (except for the simple text files) went bad
and I can navigate thru the folders in partition (G:/) and see al the files but as far as accessing the data is all for naUGHT the pictures dont have previews the html documents are all filled with strange characters nothing is usable I need help What do you recommend

Your description is not clear , but I think you have just messed around with the security protection by having moved those files with the first XP and then tried to access them with a second instance of XP.
You can try Right clicking a file or two and remove the Read Only attribute on the property page/ or try Shareing the G:\ drive /or Taking ownership of the G:\ and it's files .You must do this from the last install of Windows.

Liquidlen said:
Your description is not clear , but I think you have just messed around with the security protection by having moved those files with the first XP and then tried to access them with a second instance of XP.
You can try Right clicking a file or two and remove the Read Only attribute on the property page/ or try Shareing the G:\ drive /or Taking ownership of the G:\ and it's files .You must do this from the last install of Windows.

How do I "take ownership of the G:/ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back