Partition Magic 7.0 is not resizing my NTFS partion after I reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels43

I am using Partition Magic 7.0 to resize my Windows partition so that i can dual boot Windows XP with Linux. When i resize it, the new partition shows up in the PM program and then tells me I have to reboot in order for the changes to complete. It seems like it is going to work but when i restart my system the partition is the same single NTFS as before. I don't know what I am doing wrong and I have tried it about 10 times, can anyone help??

Thanks,
wheels4343

Newer Linux installers can resize NTFS by themselves - throw away that ancient version of Partition Magic.

To avoid disaster, you should always tell PM to do only ONE action at the time, then let it do it/reboot.
So resize/reboot, make new partion/reboot, format/reboot etc.

Still not working even letting it only do one thing at a time

The size on the partition is still not resizing after the reboot any other ideas anyone has??

Get yourself a copy of Partition Magic 8 or 9. PM 7.0 has a great deal of limitations as to drive size.

Are there any other programs that can do the same thing?

Do any of you know if there are other programs that can resize a current partition besides Partition Magic?

Can you tell us what exactly you want to do?

You have to use the file PMagicNT.exe for it to work.

You need plenty of free space. You have an 80GB HD (about 75GB in real life).
Assume you want windows=50GB and linux=25GB, you need to have less than 50GB of total info on that HD. Minimum free space an any partition should be 10-15%.
- resize whole diskpartition from 75 to 50GB (do it)
- create new 25GB partition for Linux AFTER the resized Windows partition

I have tried exactly what you are refering to

I am using the PMagicNT.exe, I am currently only using 48% of the whole disk on the one and only NTFS Windows partition. Ok so i have 75 GB drive and i want 60 for windows and 15 for linux.... I have resized the partition 60 - 15, put the new partition after the windows partition, and create the partition as primary and unformatted, I apply the changes and reboot. I have followed those same instructions for what seems like 100 times but every time i reboot only the 1 partition is on the drive. I have one question do i need to create the partition as a LinuxEx2 or leave it unformatted to be able to use Linux on it?

Jesus.. You said you want to install Linux. What distro? If it is anything released after 2004, then it can resize your NTFS partition by itself and you do not have to use any special partitioning programs.

Last time i tryed to install linux on and change my partition i wiped out windows

I tryed to install Fedora Core 3 about a year ago and wiped out the whole Windos OS on my disk but since you say it works ill try it again..... i also have mepis and knoppix which of these do any of you recommend??

If you are having problems with your NTFS, then no one can guarantee that the Linux resizer won't wipe out the whole thing :)

The latest Fedora is 5.. It is always best to use the latest version of any distribution.

Knoppix is meant to run from the CD really, so Mepis would be more approriate to install on the hard drive.

Finally

I finally got the partition resized, I used gparted and t worked like a chram the first time.. very excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back