TechSpot

Partition Magic Crashed My System

By MissKris
Dec 14, 2005
  1. I ran Partition Magic 8.0 to resize a partition on my computer. When it was done with the process an error message appeared and below it was the instruction "click any key to reboot". I clicked and the system now will not reboot. It goes to a dos screen that gives me the option to boot normally, last known good config, safe mode, etc. No matter which option I try the system brings me back to that page. It happens when I powerdown and unplug the system as well. How do I get my computer to reboot? Thanks for the help!

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

The infamous "an" error message.. IIRC there was a nasty bug in PM8 that made it botch up partition tables. One should see what exactly is broken and then either fix the filesystem and/or the partition table.

You did back up all your important data and created the Partition Magic boot floppies, right?

3. Mazza558

Mazza558 TS Rookie Posts: 35

Yep that's what happened to my PC :blackeye:

You'll have to re-install XP I'm afraid. Since then I've been scared of installing Linux on my PC.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.