TechSpot

Partition Magic loses files during Merge process

By heppy
May 14, 2007
  1. Hi all,
    Yesterday I merged 2 x 30Gb partitions and even though the process was completed without hitch, the folder/file info from one of the partitions has disappeared. The data is still stored on the partition as indicated by space occupied. How can I restore access to the missing files?

John H .

2. gavilan

gavilan TS Rookie Posts: 62

Google file recovery utilities. this is a good one that has helped me in a pinch. It is a 30 day trial, which doesnt really matter if you're just gonna use it once to restore some files.

ALWAYS back up your files before editing partitions.

3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

GETDATABACK for ntfs works real well
    be careful with some of these don't write to the disk when tring to recover
    acronis partition recovery may help
    I have not used this utility yet ,but it's just a matter of time

4. fr0stasdell

fr0stasdell TS Rookie

Make sure you dont have any unpartioned space.. i did that once and i had to use Partition Magic to fix it.

5. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 293

Also, enable hidden files. You might find your data in a weird place. Or search your HDD for a file you know was in there and check the search hidden files option.

It has happened to me in the past. My files were moved to a hidden folder within C: ... strange stuff!

Just remember next time to Back-Up your data before doing something like that! :grinthumb

6. heppy

heppy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your promt assistance and advice. After a google search I decided to purchas "File Scavenger" for $49 US and all missing data and a whole lot of other garbage has now been recovered. Hopefully, I will not need to use the tool very often, but now that I know its capabilities, it is reassuring to have it on hand.
    john h

7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

what version I have V 3 works very well upgrade from V2
    just a little slowr then GETDATABACK plus does not do network

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.