Partition Magic Patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

Does anybody know where to download the new error #1513 patch from. As far as I know, the only way to get it is to pay $30 to phone them, give your e-mail address and wait. Quite frankly, I'd rather not spend $30, but if I have to, oh well.

P.S. From what I hear, their e-mail support is non-existant, so I really don'y want to waste my time e-mailing them for no reason. If anybody does have a good tech suport story, i might try their e-mail support.:)

Powerquest's website isn't much help to anyone right now it seems.
http://www.powerquest.com/
Appears they are still in transition from being acquired by Symantec. This might also cause you a bit of a problem getting the patch, though I'd suggest emailing them anyway.

how to address error 1513 with Partitino Magic 8.0x

below I cut and paste the support letter from symantec to address this issue:
/**********************************************************/
Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand that you are getting error 1513.

Windows 2000 and XP use a new file record format, called I-Node, that is incompatible with the initial releases of PartitionMagic 8.x. When this format is detected, Error 1513 is generated. Symantec has released a patch to resolve this issue. To obtain the patch, please follow the steps outlined below.

1. Make sure the have a current version of PartitionMagic 8.x:

a. In PartitionMagic, click Help, then select About.

b. Make sure the version number is 8.01 or 8.02. If you have version 8.0, you will need to obtain version 8.01. To request a version update, please contact PartitionMagic Technical Support directly by telephone, at 1-800-757-5049. Notify the telephone agent that you are receiving Error 1513, and need to download the 8.01 update. The agent will verify your issue, and is authorized to waive the support fee if this update is required. If the issue is found to have some other cause, you will be charged, however you will also be provided with a resolution. In either event, the telephone agent must collect your credit card information at the beginning of the call.

2. Once you have version 8.01 or 8.02 then you will need to download a patch for the 8.01 and 8.02 versions. To obtain the patch please visit our FTP site, at the URL linked below:

ftp://updates:pq@ftp.powerquest.com/PartitionMagic

3. On this page you will see two folders. The next step will depend on the version of PartitionMagic you have installed.

--If you have PartitionMagic 8.01, double-click on the folder labeled PM801, then download the file ENPM801_H1.ZIP to your desktop.
--If you have PartitionMagic 8.02, double-click on the folder labeled PM802, then download the file ENPM802_H1.ZIP to your desktop.

4. The downloaded file is password protected. To extract its contents, use the password "pm1513" (without the quotation marks.)

5. To install the patch, follow the instructions in the text file "PM 1513 - Readme file.txt," which is included in download file.

After the patch has been installed, you should no longer see the Error 1513 message.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
/**********************************************************/

I'd just like to add that the ugrade to 8.01/02 by itself will not address this issue. If you have version 8.00, you can download the patch meant for version 8.02 and install it and the problem will go away (in my humble experience.) Hence, the patch by itself seams to be sufficient. Also, when downloading via ftp site, please ignore the login window asking for a password, the download should proceed in the background regardless (if it doesn't, attempt to download the patch file a couple of times and it should work.)

Here is a link to Download the patches from Symantec, they say they don't have it but its on their FTP Site, just click the following link and it should take you to it. If it doesn't, contact me I have the patches. frippet@neilnet.com

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/pmagic/pmagic_8/updates/

The enpm801_h1.zip file isn't password protected but the enpm802_h1.zip file is (password pm1513).

Also, the instructions are no longer in the enpm801_h1.zip (but they are still in enpm802_h1.zip, wonder why?), below are where the files go;

Xmnt2002.exe - \windows\system32
PMagic9x.exe and PMagicNT.exe - PM Install Dir
PqMagic.ovl - PM Install Dir\Dos

I think that should cover it, good luck :)

Billy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back