Partition magic problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i'm a newbie at this site and have a problem with partition magic 8.0.

i have an 80G external drive named myBook(G drive) and tried to split it into 2 partitions (D, E) by using PM. Unfortunately, i forgot to back up my data before doing this. After the PC rebooted, i found that the original drive letter (myBook G drive) disappeared and none of the data is traceable :mad: . Now, i see only one partition (D) without any data in the external drive and have no idea what happened during partition. Does it mean the external drive was formatted during the process? Is the data recoverable?

Thanks for your help :) .

ALWAYS back up your data - especially before attempting serious HD manipulations like this. It will be difficult if not impossible to recover your data. Try using a file recovery program. Provided you haven't overwritten some of the data, you might be able to salvage some.

try these: undelete plus and PC Inspector file recovery

both are free

If you can, try accessing Disk Management to see what you see there. Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disc Management. What drives you see there is what you get.
Partitioning software usually wipes out everything, but will be useful to run Partition Magic 8 to see what it tells you about the partitions.

Thanks for your help. I tried using both data recovery programs... It seems PC Inspector is more robust on this kind of data recovery. PC inspector is able to identify the missing logical drives by searching the physical driver and then asking the user which logical driver needs to be recovered. Once the target logical driver is pointed out, all previous data and their directories will be detected by Inspector. Although 100% of the data can not be recovered, at least 95% of the data has been salvaged without problem. However, the data recovering is not fast. It really needs your patience to finish it.

I also tried Undelete Plus, but it didn't work for such kind of data lost due to missed logical driver.

Thanks again for your help. :giddy:

The slowness is an assurance. I would go so far as to say that a recovery that takes less than four hours is suspect.... or less thorough than need be. There are 87 recovery programs. Some have special successes. Some charge much more than is right or acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back