Partition Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathsDesign

Yes its my fault and I realize that. Just hoping there is a way to fix this.

When i originally installed windows on this computer, I had an external usb drive plugged in. Because of that my partition for Local Disk is now F: instead of C:. It has not really been any major problem (aside from not being able to fully install all aspects of HP printer software and a couple others because the installers were programmed to install to C: not %systemroot%.

Anyways, like i said it is not a huge deal, I am just kind of a stickler, and if there is a way for me to get the Local Disk Partition back to c: without reinstallinjg I'd appreciate the help.

TIA

Have you tried Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and changing the drive letters?

Death Designs

You don't indicate what Operating System you are running.

1) i believe XP will allow this (but would have to double check)
2) Regardless, of how, you fix it i strongly urge you fix it before it almost certainly will bite you when you aren't ready to deal with this problem. As is likely sometime/some software application or recovery is going to go looking for c: and you have an extra dimension of trouble to figure out when you least want it

/* edit */
just a point of note: mscrx note your 1st link only applies to W2K

I have xp Pro, and ther eis no way to change it per microsoft. Oh well, no biggie.

Yes i tried the disk management first. it cant be changed because the entire registry would have to be revamped..

I would say it IS possible, but very difficult. A program called 'change of address' COA32 will deal not only with all the registry entries mentioning E: and changing them to C:, but also all the regular configuration files ending .ini, .cfg, .inf, etc

I remember doing this successfully for a dual-boot under w2K.

You would be taking a large risk, so you would start with a complete drive image so that you could begin again if needed. A few applications will fall outside what coa32 is designed to process, and they would need to be reinstalled.

All-in-all, a backup of your data and a full reinstall onto the proper drive would be quicker and easier.

To repeat gbhall, do a full backup (preferrably a ghost back-up) then reinstall your programs and data. As i would still fear your "unconventional" partitioning arranging will be back to bite you sometime future (when you don't have the time or want to deal with it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back