Partition problems (80gb to 9gb)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatguy

I just installed windows XP pro over XP home and I think i screwed something up bad. I have an 80 gb drive, and it should show up as about 69 right?

Well I deleted the current partition that was there and made a new one of 10 gigs (NTFS) to install XP on. I installed windows and when I went into My Computer my C drive only had 9 gigs (6 left)

God damnit.. How / Can I fix this?

If you make a 10GB partition and format it, then yes, it will come out as some 9GB+ What seems to be the problem?

You need to create more partitions to make use of rest of the ~70GB if that's what you are asking.

Ok I'm in the XP setup again. There is:

152626 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus - on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 10237 MB <8035 MB free>
Unpartitioned space 142389 MB

So should I create another partition of 142389 MB on the unpartitioned space?

I'm not understanding this. Do you have MSN Nodsu?

(lol omg a/s/l)

You can create the extra partitions in Windows too, no need to reinstall :) I think you can still cancel out of the installation and have everything intact..

Yes, you can create the additional partitions in WIndows setup too.

Was thinking about putting my MSN addy on my TS profile just the other day.. I'll get on it right away

Yeah. Made a new partition with the remaining space, it started to install so i cancelled it. Now I've got C: and E:. and the CD drive is D: Someone told me I should rename the other partition to D: and the CD drive to E: because the priority for D: is higher than E:.. Or something. Hope that made sense :p Thanks for your help.

in xp you don't have to
they fixed this glitch of disc priority
the OS will see the hdd and the optical as 2 diff things
but if you like neat things
just go to disk manager and change drive letter
you have to shuffle a little to get them in line
do this before you put any programs anywhere
you wil confuse the reg if you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back