Partitioning a second hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDIsTheBest010

i am thinking of purchasing a second 160GB Hd to replace my 100GB(old) HD and was wondering how to partition it. i have the restore CDs from the oringinal HD didnt know if those were of any use 4 this

Thanks

If you plan on using the new hard drive as a slave then win xp can do the job for you, just go to disk management and format and partition the drive.

With win xp, you can now format and partition a hard drive from within windows. Just install the drive as slave (if pata drive), then go to disk management and you can format and partition this new drive right from disk management from inside windows xp pro or home or media center xp.
You can set it as one drive with one letter and as one partition or you can partition it into 2,3,4 sections, each with their own drive letter. If you use more than one drive letter, then assign later letters, such as N,O,P,Q,R,S,T, these are good numbers for secondary storage drives because if you add a new cd or dvd rom then it wont change the number of your hard drive on you all by itself.

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
so u do not ahve to partitoin a storage hard drive?
no you do not have to partition .just format to the file system you want to use
if on w98se fat32 and thats all your stuff runs on format to fat32
if xp or w2000 format to ntfs default cluster
as storage just make the folder system as you go
partition will only loose space

Sorry, i should have been more clear on that. Yes, you have to format the drive, no, you dont have to partition the drive. If you simply format the drive think of it as one large partition as it basically is. Windows takes a very small part of the hard drive to put the boot info on the hard drive and the rest is left for user usage.
But you only have to partition a hard drive if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back