Partitioning Freeware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazza558

Hi,

I'm looking for a piece of partitioning freeware which runs without windows (i.e on a CD). It needs to be able to:

-Resize a partition
-Create a new NFTS partition readable as another drive by Windows
-Delete partitions

The reason I need this is because I want to set up my computer with a 10GB partition for XP and vital stuff, and then have a huge extra partition for media, games etc. The theory behind this is that my PC won't get slower the more stuff I put on it. Would this work in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

Acronis and Paragon sometimes put free versions of their partition utilities on magazine discs.

It would be better to use one of them if you can.Ranish is not the most beginner friendly program out there.

If you do use Ranish,make sure you double check each step in the process.

I asked for this sometime ago and this keeps coming up periodically. I went ahead and bought a copy of Norton partition magic off of ebay for about $30. It retails for about $70. It was worth it. I wouldn't spend more than $30 for it as it is a program you'll use maybe once or twice.
It was well worth it though.

In my opinion you may find that 10gigs is to small, I would shoot for 15 at least but preferably around 20. I say this because downloading files from the internet will require temporary files created on your C: drive, same with burning cd's and the windows defrag requires a minimum of like 15% free space. Through my experience 10 or even 12 gigs is to small, just my 2 cents.

s3xynanigoat said:
In my opinion you may find that 10gigs is to small, I would shoot for 15 at least but preferably around 20. I say this because downloading files from the internet will require temporary files created on your C: drive, same with burning cd's and the windows defrag requires a minimum of like 15% free space. Through my experience 10 or even 12 gigs is to small, just my 2 cents.
You change the location of the temp files. My OS partition is 5gb, and it works fine.

So are you sure that a new NFTS partiton I create will be visible in XP? Last time I tried this, all I could see was the 10GB boot partition.

After you create the partition, you have to format it to give it a file system via Disk Management. Otherwise you wont see it in My Computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back