Partitioning Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel161

Ok, I have a 98se and is was/is a Compaq desktop. All software has been replaced. Both of the Compaqs I have seen have this drive configuration A C: and the restore D:. Is their any software(Free?) that can shrink C: by about 2 GB and add it to D: ? I want to try out some LINUX and I just need a little more space. Oh, to add to the challenge, my 98se on c: NEEDS to stay working. I cant loose that data.

Thanks for your help!

--Daniel L

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ is probably the best free partitioning software.

Please keep in mind that ANYTHING can happen no matter what program you are using. ALWAYS backup your data first, if at all possible. An unexpected error with the software or your file system, physical defects in your hard drive, subtle problems with your RAM (memory) etc... can all toast your partition while using this software.

You may want to run a drive diagnostic first, then a memory diagnostic. Then perform on last Scandisk before running this utility to ensure as much as possible you won't lose any data. If you can make a backup, then you can ignore that stuff. :)

The best payware partition manager is (my opinion) Acronis Disk Director (Partition Expert). Old copies of Norton Ghost are rock solid too, but once they hit 9 it went down hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back