TechSpot

Partitioning/Resizing trouble

By killerjedininja
Feb 10, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, I am trying to partition or resize my existing hard drive in order to do a duel boot with xp and ubuntu. I downloaded gparted and ran it. It recognized the hard drive but would not let me resize it. Does anybody know what could cause this? Thanks
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

Which version of gparted are you running?
  3. killerjedininja

killerjedininja TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

the newest one.
    gparted-live-0.5.1-1
    i got it from here
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

I am assuming you have downloaded the ISO. I think you may be able to do the same by downloading Partition Wizard (the few times I've played around with linux thats how i did by the way) creating/resizing the partitions as you need; and then try to install ubuntu on it.

I hope someone with much better knowledge of linux than me will see this thread and help you out if you want to create partitions through it.
  5. hughva

hughva TS Rookie Posts: 309

6. killerjedininja

killerjedininja TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

@hughva: Thanks. I'll try that if the partition wizard doesn't work and when I burn/find a recovery disk just in case.
    @Archean: I'll try that tonight when I get home if I have the chance or tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the link.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.