Partitions cannot be created on windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter366

When I insert the windows xp disk I get to the point where you have to create a partition but when I create a partition it was not created. If I try to use a partition created on windows 98 startup disk when I try to format it on windows xp or 98 it still will not install.

the problem is that when I try to create a partition in windows xp disk something keeps deleting the partition (if it was created in the first place)

Part of the solution is to READ the article and anything related that it references and THEN, if you are still unable to proceed, to make a decision on a course of action.

You are not very clear as to whether this is a NEW install or a re-partition of an existing drive with XP already installed?

I am trying to install on a harddrive which has nothing on it and I have read the article and found nothing that can help.

So, you have also failed when trying to use the Fdisk tool and the Format tool to partition your hard disk.

What brand of HD?

I have also failed using fdisk and format.and all I know is that my hrddrive is a hitachi deskstar 3.5 80gb harddrive

From this site: http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1708

"I bought a 400GB drive which failed to format using my Windows XP CD. I tried to format it as a slave drive using disk management, it failed again. I even tried FDisk and again it failed. I tried a 'low level' format and yet again it failed. I contacted Hitachi support who were obviously already aware of this problem. I was told to download their 'Features' program and use it to create a 'bootable' floppy disk which I then used to alter the drives 'UDMA' setting from 7 to 5. After this the drive formatted and Windows loaded with no further problems.

This problem occurs only when these drives are used with certain chipsets. My pc is a Dell Dimension 4500. I realise the 'fix' sounds a little complicated it is in fact relatively simple and my drive now works perfectly."

I dont think the harddrives the problem, I have tried a different hard drives and it still doesnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back