Partitions - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm trying to rename my hdd from F: to C: and but disk management won't let me. i'm assuming it's because the drive is partitioned. i deleted the second partition but it leaves the 360mb that was on it unallocated. how do i allocate this to the remaining partition?

i think you could have to repartion and reformat it to get rid of that presky disk management. If you are using Windows XP, then when setup is ready to proceed, delete all partions and leave the RAW partion. force it to format in NTFS (not quick) and install along way! Same goes to windows 2k.

Windows 98, use latest FDISK from Microsoft Windows Knowledge Base KB263044. Delete and repartion the disk and format the disk before install windows 9x.

I have renamed my partitions a few times as I move stuff around
I had no problems.
kinda funny your (main) drive is letter F
do you have info on drive or is it clean?
I have done this using windows hardware manager and also used program called
partition manager by paragon its a very good product
nother co. that makes good HDD managers and fixers is acronis
all these programs are stand alone

Consider Partition Magic

For manipulating partitions very few tools work better than Partition Magic. It is very flexible and can handle most hard drive tasks. In your case, PM would allow you to simply resize the main partition to pick up the 360 MB you mentioned--and no data will be lost in the process. This presumes that the 360 MB is adjacent to the partition you want to add it to. While a backup is recommended before performing this task, I've used four versions of PM over several years and have never lost data while resizing. Using the FDISK solution will trash all of the data on your drive which is something I always try to avoid.

To echo Samstoned, I also don't understand that F: and C: drive lettering. Can you explain this a little better?

partion magic is the s@#$

i had the same problem last week
got a copy of partion magic and was amazed how easy it was
try it :cool:

forgot to mention hdd ownership status
tmper add all users to the security files may help it from stumbling
do search for hard drive ownership xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back