Password Problem

I need to do a OS repair, when I go through the process as directed I get to a point where it asks me to type in the Adminastrator Password. But I have no such password, Ive never had one on this computer, but it wont let me go any further with the repair without the password. ???

This may be a silly question but have you tried leaving it blank and just hitting Enter?

What OS are you using?

If you have the install disk for windows you are able to reset the admin password anyway. Just google it.

Yes , I tried leaving it blank, and no go. My OS is XP.m trying to do a repair to see if it solves my problem without having to reinstall the OS, im trying to avoid losing all my data, drivers and the lot.

if you want to backup your data first, even before you attempt the repair (and even before you fix any admin password issue) See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Does the PC still boot into Normal or Safe mode?

If so you can use this registry edit to bypass the password.

Click on Start, then Run and type Regedit into the box and hit Enter. Then Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

Exit Registry and Reboot.

What problems are you having that prompted you to run a Repair install?

P.S. For some strange reason the gap in the registry key in the word Recovery appears, not matter what edit I tried, so it is not supposed to be there.

I just put in a new proceaaor and was told to run a repair to update the BIOS so my PC will reconize the new processor , hoping to not have to reinstall everything and lose all data.

I just put in a new proceaaor and was told to run a repair to update the BIOS so my PC will reconize the new processor

Well, you either misunderstood or the person who told you this is mistaken. What you may have to do is update the Bios to a newer version but that will not happen by running a Repair Install on the OS. You may also have to re-activate your OS over the phone as the installed OS might see the CPU as a new system.

Is the system running and booting up to the desktop?

Perhaps it would help us help you if you give a full explanation as to what exactly your PC is and isn't doing, any error messages, etc. The make and model of the processor and the motherboard.

This guide will show you what should happen when you run a rapair install and how to overcome the password problem.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/recove...istrator-password-with-the-installation-disk/

Back