Password Protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuCazz

Hi,

I believe this is my first post here, so I guess I new.

I'm curious to know, if a utility, third party software or anything that would accomplish, prompting for a password before any download takes place (mainly from the Internet) exists? Multiple people use my PC at any given time, and I want to know what goes on here. I don't want someone accessing a game site or something, where they have to install a plug in or what not. I just went through hell with my core duo running like an 8088. Not to say it came from that, I don't know, but if I can rule that out the better. I've seen programs that will password protect files/folder, but I need to prevent downloads, and creating an administrator account seperately, did not seem to work as I thought it was suppose to.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

StuCazz :wave:

Any internet usage means some kind of downloading. When you open a webpage, a bunch of images and text is downloaded. There is no way for any program to tell the difference.

You may want to give the untrusted users very low privileges (down to guest level even) and allow them to use only the safer browsers like Opera or Firefox.

Maybe describe the situation a bit more. What kind of people are these and what are they using the computer for?

I understand, that kind of downloading is going to happen, regardless. My question is regarding when someone intentionally downloads something they may need to run something, but have no idea what it is.

I do use Firefox, since it doesn't have a lot of those flash plug ins for some sights. But those are the kind of things I don't want. Are you saying creating a separate account with low access for that user? It still allows them to download.

thank you

SC

if user is basic low end user they can not run exe they have downloaded
should target mozilla.org with question about plugins for this
and as a after thought its maybe possible to disable the browser dwnld manager by assigning a fake or 3rd party that requires pass

another way is get a free parental control and ban file extensions e.g
*.zip
*.rar
*.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back