TechSpot

PATA HDD not detected during windows xp home setup

By redgemini
Jan 11, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm having trouble within my hard drive.

When I startup the machine tells me there is no hard disks detected, when I go into the BIOS it says it finds my hard drive. When I try to load windows, I get a blue screen claiming:

UNMOUNTABLE_DRIVE_VOLUME

I followed the instructions from DELL and tried restoring factory settings, but although it told me I had a primary drive as my hard drive and secondary drive as my CD drive, it didn't do much else.

I tried deleting the partition through the windows setup but it told me it was "unable to delete the partition".

A friend suggested taking out one the non-Dell ram sticks to see if that would help - it didn't.

What else can I do?
  2. Kevork

Kevork TS Rookie Posts: 92

What version of WINXP cd are you using? To be able to properly install a PATA drive you need minimum WINXPSP2 setup cd. If not a manual integration of a driver might be required for complete HD functionality.

Yes I know it sounds cray cause its IDE in theory but I have had problems in the past.
  3. redgemini

redgemini TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's Win xp home with sp2.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.