PayPal cancels plan to open North Carolina operations center in response to state's anti-LGBT law

midian182

Staff member

PayPal has cancelled its plan to open a global operations center in Charlotte, North Carolina, in response to the state’s recently passed law that discriminates against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) citizens.

The center would have brought 400 jobs and seen PayPal invest more than $3.6 million in the area. But the digital payments company decided not to use the location as a protest against the House Bill 2 law, which supersedes ordinances protecting LGBT people from discrimination, and prevents transgender people from using bathrooms and locker rooms that do not match the gender on their birth certificates.

“The new law perpetuates discrimination and it violates the values and principles that are at the core of PayPal’s mission and culture,” said PayPal CEO Dan Schulman. “As a result, PayPal will not move forward with our planned expansion into Charlotte.”

“This decision reflects PayPal’s deepest values and our strong belief that every person has the right to be treated equally, and with dignity and respect,” Schulman added

Other companies, including Google, Facebook, Apple, and IBM, have spoken out aginst the House Bill 2. More than 80 CEOs signed a letter to North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory, urging him to repeal it.

The law has proved so controversial that the White House is currently reviewing whether it could affect the flow of federal aid to North Carolina, and a federal lawsuit has been launched against the state.

North Carolina Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest has defended the law following PayPal’s decision. "If our action in keeping men out of women's bathrooms and showers protected the life of just one child or one woman from being molested or assaulted, then it was worth it," he said in a statement.

PayPal said it is now looking for another location for its operations center.

Permalink to story.

It's ridiculous that as a society, our voice is so thin and worthless that we literally now rely on big corporation's voice to affect change. Instead of calling our representatives and voting, should we now send our letters to the CEO's of CocaCola, Best Buy, and Amazon? They have a voice, we do not.

If someone wants to be homosexual, fine, be that way, don't care, but as a Christian, why should I be forced to participate in your "wedding"? It use to be "we reserve the right to refuse service".
Why would two people, want to do business with a business that does not support their choice?
It would be similar to if you took a bunch of Jewish or Muslims into a restaurant, and force them to eat pork products. Or forcing an atheist to pray at a Church service. Not to mention, all you have to do, is go down the
street and find some business who doesn't give a rip what your "lifestyle choice" is. I know & work with homosexual people and they are about as offended in this crap as I am.

If someone wants to be homosexual, fine, be that way, don't care, but as a Christian, why should I be forced to participate in your "wedding"? It use to be "we reserve the right to refuse service".
Why would two people, want to do business with a business that does not support their choice?
It would be similar to if you took a bunch of Jewish or Muslims into a restaurant, and force them to eat pork products. Or forcing an atheist to pray at a Church service. Not to mention, all you have to do, is go down the
street and find some business who doesn't give a rip what your "lifestyle choice" is. I know & work with homosexual people and they are about as offended in this crap as I am.

"If someone wants to be black, fine, be that way, don't care, but as a white person why should I be forced to participate in your "wedding".

Discrimination is bullsh*t, no matter which way you slice it. Your "Christian" values are bullsh*t. You don't know homosexuals that are ok with discriminatory laws. You are full of sh*t.

Paypal has every right to locate their business in a state that supports the values they share.

All of these bullsh*t "religious freedom" bills will eventually be struck down by the supreme court, much to the chagrin of the pig f*ckers in North Carolina.

Not a smart play by PayPal. It will score them short-run points with leftists and progressives. But playing politics so flamboyantly is terrible long-term strategy. They should have expressed their diappointment with North Carolina and continued on with some diversity initiative.

Also, take note how it is perfectly okay for corporations to strong-arm local governments for the politics of the day.

Curios how that works.

"If someone wants to be black, fine, be that way, don't care, but as a white person why should I be forced to participate in your "wedding".

Discrimination is bullsh*t, no matter which way you slice it. Your "Christian" values are bullsh*t. You don't know homosexuals that are ok with discriminatory laws. You are full of sh*t.

Paypal has every right to locate their business in a state that supports the values they share.

All of these bullsh*t "religious freedom" bills will eventually be struck down by the supreme court, much to the chagrin of the pig f*ckers in North Carolina.

And the true ugliness of the athiest comes out. Hypocricy to boot.

That is a really bad analogy to give and is completely wrong. If you can't see why it is wrong than you are the problem. Forcing people to eat pork is not the same thing as someone going to a backery and saying I want to buy a cake from you. Your christian values are **** just like the other guy said. Time to grow up.

That is a really bad analogy to give and is completely wrong. If you can't see why it is wrong than you are the problem. Forcing people to eat pork is not the same thing as someone going to a backery and saying I want to buy a cake from you. Your christian values are **** just like the other guy said. Time to grow up.

The analogy is poor but the principle is true. In both instances, someone is being forced to do something they fundamentally believe is wrong.

If you can't tell how poor this analogy is, you must literally be retarded.

Did ANYONE READ PAST THE FLIPPING SECOND SENTENCE!?!?! Allow me to copy and past:

...and prevents transgender people from using bathrooms and locker rooms that do not match the gender on their birth certificates.

Basically, what NC just prevented are males going into females bathrooms and vice versa.
DAMN people...so many pay attention to the letter of the word but not the overall meaning.

Here is another STUPID comment by Paypal:
“This decision reflects PayPal’s deepest values and our strong belief that every person has the right to be treated equally, and with dignity and respect,” Schulman added

Again, basically, for those that can THINK, Dan Schulman is saying he is in support for "no gender" bathrooms.

If you can't tell how poor this analogy is, you must literally be retarded.

Stop projecting:

The analogy is poor but the principle is true.

Did ANYONE READ PAST THE FLIPPING SECOND SENTENCE!?!?! Allow me to copy and past:

...and prevents transgender people from using bathrooms and locker rooms that do not match the gender on their birth certificates.

Basically, what NC just prevented are males going into females bathrooms and vice versa.
DAMN people...so many pay attention to the letter of the word but not the overall meaning.

Here is another STUPID comment by Paypal:

Again, basically, for those that can THINK, Dan Schulman is saying he is in support for "no gender" bathrooms.

I would consider transgender folks to be whatever gender they personally correlate to. Some people are born in the wrong body, and we should accommodate for that rather than discriminate because they don't adhere to a binary restroom system we have established.

For the record, my mostly gay girlfriend frequently cross dresses as a man and I'm more than willing to wear a dress to her little drag shows.

I take it you haven't kept up on the latest social justice.

Case in point:

I would consider transgender folks to be whatever gender they personally correlate to. Some people are born in the wrong body, and we should accommodate for that rather than discriminate because they don't adhere to a binary restroom system we have established.

For the record, my mostly gay girlfriend frequently cross dresses as a man and I'm more than willing to wear a dress to her little drag shows.

(Admittedly, I cannot tell if this is a serious comment or superb satire.)

Truly amazing in this time and day that people are so obsessed with another persons practices, especially when it has no direct affect on their lives. This country was founded on the principles of freedom of choice, religion, speech, etc. If we worried more about the character of a person rather than their choices of gender, sex, or religion we would have a much smarter, more emotionally balanced, and happier society. The practice of love, in any form, leads to happiness rather than confrontation, hatred, war, poverty and all the other similar ills that plague mankind. Now, more than ever those immortal words ring true, "what the world needs now is love, sweet love".

Truly amazing in this time and day that people are so obsessed with another persons practices, especially when it has no direct affect on their lives. This country was founded on the principles of freedom of choice, religion, speech, etc. If we worried more about the character of a person rather than their choices of gender, sex, or religion we would have a much smarter, more emotionally balanced, and happier society. The practice of love, in any form, leads to happiness rather than confrontation, hatred, war, poverty and all the other similar ills that plague mankind. Now, more than ever those immortal words ring true, "what the world needs now is love, sweet love".

Actually, it was the hippies from the 60s and 70s who helped usher in the current paradigm. 'Love' divorced from rational values & principles results in fragmentation and conflict.

Actually, it was the hippies from the 60s and 70s who helped usher in the current paradigm. 'Love' divorced from rational values & principles results in fragmentation and conflict.

Man if only we could go back to the 50s when blacks and whites couldn't kiss or get married. When seeing two poeple of the same gender kiss resulted in you getting out of the car and beating them up. Those were the good ole days. When there was obviously under and upper class. When there was a constant clash between the established powers and the poor.

"Maybe one day we can choose how it feels to be a woman or a man."

The main problem with progressives is that they feel rather than think. Here is an excellent example:

Man if only we could go back to the 50s when blacks and whites couldn't kiss or get married. When seeing two poeple of the same gender kiss resulted in you getting out of the car and beating them up. Those were the good ole days. When there was obviously under and upper class. When there was a constant clash between the established powers and the poor.

"Maybe one day we can choose how it feels to be a woman or a man."

Racial segregation and religious freedom are not the same issues. In the case of the former, the law of the land made it illegal for free individuals to voluntarily enter into private contracts. Thus, alienating their rights. In the case of the latter, one party is being forced to enter a contract against their free will by another party. Quite literally, alienating the rights of A to satisfy the immediate desires of B.

That you have to resort to deliberately fallacious rhetoric only emphasizes how little you actually understand. Feelings aren't thoughts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_michaelhughes1/media/grid?idx=19&tid=661562991461036032 how's this, go tell this dude to use the women's bathroom.

I find it distasteful that corporations are the only ones getting policy done anymore.

And that keeping women and children safe bullshit, name one instance of a actual trans person who abused kids. If you find one that was not made up on the spot, you have a shitty argument. More than 5 I would consider, you will not find any that are not fake.

Also stop acting like people have any control over how they are born. It didn't help you with skin color, it didn't help you with homosexuality, and it won't help you here.

Lastly, just to preempt you, I find neo progressives just as loathsome as neo conservatives.

I don't think many citizens here in NC had anything to do with that bill. But the citizens will pay the price, not the rich politicians that won't really be affected in the long run. Regardless of the issue we don't want corporations to run our government. And being from NC it's pretty offensive to "stereotype" a whole state, not to mention hugely hypocritical.

The new society of being open-minded is "agree with me or you are wrong". Not much dialog going on anymore. I think most people would be surprised how diverse most people in NC actually are. The media only paints one picture.

The main problem with progressives is that they feel rather than think. Here is an excellent example:

Racial segregation and religious freedom are not the same issues. In the case of the former, the law of the land made it illegal for free individuals to voluntarily enter into private contracts. Thus, alienating their rights. In the case of the latter, one party is being forced to enter a contract against their free will by another party. Quite literally, alienating the rights of A to satisfy the immediate desires of B.

That you have to resort to deliberately fallacious rhetoric only emphasizes how little you actually understand. Feelings aren't thoughts.

Ah yes, nothing like putting words in my mouth! I never said they were the same issue.

To be honest, I'm curious at your level of education? Do you even have a college education? In my case I'm a professor at a research university. What do you do?

Ah yes, nothing like putting words in my mouth! I never said they were the same issue.

You compared them as if they were. Or were you lumping in apples and oranges merely to show contrast?

To be honest, I'm curious at your level of education? Do you even have a college education? In my case I'm a professor at a research university. What do you do?

1. Yes.
2. Derivatives trader (paid on results, not commission).

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not how businesses make decisions. They were probably not going to open a center in NC anyway, and gave this reason to score points in the business diversity rankings. It may save them in court someday. Don't be fooled by corporations' intentions. As far as the bathroom thing, if I saw a man entering a woman's bathroom today, I would probably call the police. I may have averted an assault. If it is commonplace, then it is more likely that no police would be called, and an assault be more likely to occur. It's just a safety issue, and it doesn't affect anybody's ability to pee. In all practicality, if I was transgender, I would want to pee in men's bathrooms no matter what, since the lines are shorter. I don't think anybody really cares where they pee. This is just a tactic to divide people.

thats not an apples to apples comparison. It's not discrimination. its refusing service because the service violates your religious beliefs. Should santa claus at the mall be a chinese woman? or can the mall hire an older jolly white guy? that is discrimination as well...

why is the liberal view always more vitriolic? so much hate....

thats not an apples to apples comparison. It's not discrimination. its refusing service because the service violates your religious beliefs. Should santa claus at the mall be a chinese woman? or can the mall hire an older jolly white guy? that is discrimination as well...

why is the liberal view always more vitriolic? so much hate....

Do your religious beliefs mandate that you're fully aware of everyone's genitals?

When opening a business, this is the contract you accepted for the right to open shop. If you don't like the contract, then close down. People were saying the same thing you are saying now when they started being forced to sell to black people.

The analogy is poor but the principle is true. In both instances, someone is being forced to do something they fundamentally believe is wrong.
Like serving blacks? Same issue 70 years ago. Your opinion is on the wrong side of history.

Back