PayPal fires strategy director following string of inappropriate tweets

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you aren’t a team player, you aren’t worth keeping around. That’s the message PayPal sent over the weekend as the company fired its new director of strategy following a strange series of tweets that took aim at fellow co-workers.

Rakesh "Rocky" Agrawal’s Twitter tirade reportedly started around 1 a.m. early Saturday morning while at Jazz Fest in New Orleans. As Business Insider highlights, the executive called PayPal vice president of global communications, Christina Smedley a useless middle manager and a “piece of sh*t.”

paypal strategy exec longer company sending inappropriate tweets twitter paypal tweets rakesh agrawal

He then published a tweet that said “People who should be fire from paypal Don Christmas a pool a kick.” Later on, Agrawal tweeted “Oh. I quit pay tonight.” Your guess is as good as mine as to what that’s supposed to mean. Perhaps autocorrect took over? Or was alcohol involved?

The messages have since been deleted but the damage has already been done. On Saturday afternoon, PayPal published a tweet that said Agrawal is no longer with the company and they have zero tolerance for such behavior.

Agrawal took to Twitter later in the day with an explanation, saying he was using a new phone and the messages were meant for a colleague (I assume, via DM). He added that it wasn’t a good idea to test a new phone when sleep deprived after working for 20 hours a day while on vacation.

Valid excuse or not, the antics have cost him his position with the company after less than two months on the job.

Permalink to story.

Wow he definitely has some issues. I don't understand who in their right mind would risk their career by tweeting inappropriate things that you wouldn't even say in person. He should have kept those feelings to himself, no express them to the world.

Drunk. Plus stupid.

What H3llion said - how did he even get that level of a position to begin with?

Yeah, seems like he is a bit retarded, he should get fired. On the other side, it is his private life and it shouldn't be monitored and interfered by PayPal just because he works there.

This is a great opportunity for Apple to, "do the right thing", by programming Siri to say, "remember, loose lips, sink ships", whenever an iPhone owner logs onto "Twitter".

It would be in their own best interest as well. You can't sell someone who's unemployed any of the overpriced digital bling, Apple so desperately wants to ram down peoples throats.

Or someone hijacked his twitter account and played a nice little prank. If he were smart, that's what he'd say anyways, maybe?

Ha ha ha ha ha.....let's fry his *** for being a jerk. No one here would ever say or think those things. shocked I'm just shocked ha ha ha. you self righteous bird heads

It did not say sent form iPhone or tweeted from iPhone so what makes you think it was not a blackberry or junk android.

TomSea are you saying intel got a hold of his brain and shrunk the die size?

This is the Information Age. Like 6 or 7 years ago Facebook and Twitter weren't as popular. Companies did their research via confrontation and interviews. But, with the Information Age that we are in, companies expand to exploring Facebook, Twitter, and googling potential employees. We were taught in school to watch what we put on Facebook. Do a google on yourself and see what comes up. If you can, delete stuff, even if it's not incriminating. We have been taught to be conscience of what we put out there and know that posting highly negative and crass things on the internet is a way we can lose our jobs. I hardly post anything on Facebook, and if I do. "Its more like I'm having a great day!" Its only an invasion of privacy when the company asks for your Facebook or Twitter account password. I feel that is taking it a bit too far.

This is the problem with Social Media...People think that they are immune to the world by posting on facebook or the likes and think "lol free speech, im immune". There are consequences for everything whether its a drunken mistake, frustrated, or anything in between.

Is America really that strict regarding personal things?
owner of LA Clippers under fire for 'racism' when the private conversation he had with his gf was secretly recorded and released to the media.
the twitter manager was fired for 'inappropriate tweets'.

What if those people are actually that?. People is very strict in their judgements until they are the one judged.

owner of LA Clippers under fire for 'racism' when the private conversation he had with his gf was secretly recorded and released to the media.
Meh, yea sadly America kind of is in one form or another. Problem is that those posts are public knowledge and it causes an uproar when people make comments like that. Plus it can hurt company reputations which is another reason things like that are held in such high regard.

Everyone is free to speak, if they are willing to deal with the cost. That has always been the definition of free speech.

Sadly, that's what we've become. The irony is, the players of the LA Clippers most likely listen to "music", that is profoundly racist, containing endless strings of profanity, with the "N-word", appearing in virtually every other sentence.

The rest of society is so whipped into political correctness, and bull s6it, "entertainment news" programs, they don't have the vaguest idea WTF is going on. Then too, the "entertainment news business", is simply a bunch of paparazzi parasites, trying to get whatever they can , on whoever they can. In other words, "entertainment news reporting", is a job so slimy, most decent people would be embarrassed to do it, let alone collect a paycheck for it. You couple that with the average IQ of the american public, (which has fallen, most likely to below 90), and you have a recipe for cultural disaster.

IMHO, the owner of any sports team is not compelled to like anyone who works for him, for whatever reason. He is responsible to see they do their jobs, and get paid the agreed amount. Like not not turn their jerseys inside out, and at least pretend to throw the ball toward the basket.

The internet seems to have spawned "lynch mobs", whose only motivation is to crucify anyone who doesn't conform to their stated ultra liberal views. For me, these groups exist as a tool for minority agenda, and are most likely incited by them.

I live with a majority of our most vocal "minority", and believe me when I tell you, some of them have views against whites, in the same proportion as the KKK feels, (but is no longer allowed) toward them.

Last edited:
Sadly, that's what we've become. The irony is, the players of the LA Clippers most likely listen to "music", that is profoundly racist, containing endless strings of profanity, with the "N-word", appearing in virtually every other sentence.

The rest of society is so whipped into political correctness, and bull s6it, "entertainment news" programs, they don't have the vaguest idea WTF is going on. Then too, the "entertainment news business", is simply a bunch of paparazzi parasites, trying to get whatever they can , on whoever they can. In other words, "entertainment news reporting", is a job so slimy, most decent people would be embarrassed to do it, let alone collect a paycheck for it. You couple that with the average IQ of the american public, (which has fallen, most likely to below 90), and you have a recipe for cultural disaster.

IMHO, the owner of any sports team is not compelled to like anyone who works for him, for whatever reason. He is responsible to see they do their jobs, and get paid the agreed amount. Like not not turn their jerseys inside out, and at least pretend to throw the ball toward the basket.

The internet seems to have spawned "lynch mobs", whose only motivation is to crucify anyone who doesn't conform to their stated ultra liberal views. For me, these groups exist as a tool for minority agenda, and are most likely incited by them.

I live with a majority of our most vocal "minority", and believe me when I tell you, some of them have views against whites, in the same proportion as the KKK feels, (but is no longer allowed) toward them.
Yea, and the sad thing is that most of our society (At least in America) ignores the actual problems with words like this or how things are treated by certain people. I hear kids (In public and online) say these words with no repercussions yet someone in a high position talks in private with a recorded conversation and they are instantly the worst person on the planet. Its the idea of double-standards at their finest.

I don't condone what they say, but some serious changes need to be made in all honesty.

Yea, and the sad thing is that most of our society (At least in America) ignores the actual problems with words like this or how things are treated by certain people. I hear kids (In public and online) say these words with no repercussions yet someone in a high position talks in private with a recorded conversation and they are instantly the worst person on the planet. Its the idea of double-standards at their finest.

I don't condone what they say, but some serious changes need to be made in all honesty.
In all reality, the African American community at large, is thumbing its collective nose, at every other ethnic group in the US. The philosophy and agenda are crystal clear, and simple, on an infantile level. "We can say, "n*****"", all we want, but if you do, you'll lose your sports team, your job, or whatever else you have. We'll see that it's taken off of you, and we'll do our best to keep it for ourselves.

Sociologists have developed a "politically correct" term for racism, "ethnocentrism". Look that up, and see if you can determine where it ends and racism begins. A blurry boundary it is, trust me.

In any rate, in the Clippers scandal, the name, "Magic Johnson", appeared. And suddenly, he became a poster child as a, "victim of racism".

Magic Johnson is an HIV positive, serial adulterer, along with a sexual predator! He lays claim to having had sex with 300 to 500 women a year, leveraging that from his occupation as a basketball super star.

I wouldn't let that POS anywhere my sister, daughter, mother, or any other female I had any concern for. So in this case, the Clipper's owner, was dead on target, at not wanting any female of his acquaintance to be in his company.

But, because he can dunk a basketball by merely standing on his tiptoes, he gets a pass on being an overt piece of crap, along with a concomitant elevation to secular sainthood.

And mods, in case you're considering pulling this post, please research my facts. You'll find them to be 100% accurate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Magic johnson announces HIV positive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

https://www.google.com/search?q=how many women had sex with magic johnson&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

In the case of Paypal's employee, I feel for you buddy, I really do. But, OTOH, Twitter makes people stupid in general, and you were insufferably stupid for making those tweets. May God have mercy on your soul. Next time, tell it to your cat....:D

Last edited:
Back