PC almost makes it to safe mode, but then the monitor dies

By Tenthmile
Nov 18, 2005
  1. I have a Dell Dimension 8100 that started giving me fits a few days ago. No problems whatsoever until one day it would only boot into safe mode--before I could tell it to do that the monitor died. Tried the monitor on another PC and it worked fine. Then I tried another monitor on the Dell, and the same thing happened as with the first monitor, only now the monitor dies before it even loads windows.

I haven't made any system upgrades recently, and it still has most of it's original hardware (I added 1Gig of RAM a year ago).

Any idea what the problem might be, or how I can get the monitor to stay on long enough to try and run a few tests? I'd appreciate any help I can get...

2. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

It could be a few typical things: PSU, these come with a cheap 250W generic PoCrap. The video card. It could also be overheating, try removing the side and putting a table fan on it. To troubleshoot for the PSU, try disconnecting the pwer line to Floppy drive and CD/DVD and any other hardware, but not the HDD (you need this to boot to the OS).
  3. Tenthmile

Tenthmile TS Rookie Topic Starter

It turns out it was actually the hard drive--must have picked up a virus somewhere or maybe some file got corrupted, I'm not sure. I tried putting in a new one and it worked like a charm : )

Thanks for your help,
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.